Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

ER

Happenstance

I only ever watched this show on and off over the years when it was originally airing but Sky have been running the entire series through for a while now so ive been watching it properly. It really was a pretty great show and im not really one for medical shows unless its Scrubs.

Anyone else a fan?

I became obsessed with ER a few years ago, when they used to air it five times a week right around the time I ate dinner. I watched it obsessively for close to a year until I was all caught up.

It's too bad the show went on as long as it did, though.

It was always on in my household as my mum loved it, so I knew some of the characters, and I'd periodically watch batches of episodes at a time. Then when I was older I watched the last 3/4 or so seasons in full as they aired. Loved it. :) Not an amazing TV show by any means, but I liked the aesthetic and feel, and some of the characters. Not one I'd bother watching much of again though.

To be fair, ER was pretty amazing (and critically acclaimed) at one point, but the last few seasons are hardly the strongest ones. The show was at its best for the first five or so seasons and and took a huge hit after season eight, when Carter was the only original character left.

I adore this so show, it was the first TV show I became obsessed with. So many great characters, very few shows can match it in the drama stakes. As everyone knows the quality declined when the last original left (Noah Wyle) but it was still a patch above most shows. The first 8 seasons were brilliant TV and there's so many episodes I can think of that I love, very few bad ones. No matter how many times i've seen an episode, i'll still watch it again if I see it's on, even though I do own the complete boxset.

IMG_0295.jpg

Neela Rasgotra was my fave, despite the fact she always seemed vaguely depressed. I remember the Season...12 (I think) finale was the first TV season finale I was screaming/spinning in my seat/gasping. And I remember phoning chair to discuss it. Or talking on MSN or something.

If you ever get a chance I would really recommend watching the earlier seasons and try and catch up to where you started. Im similar to you and I watched more from of the later stuff, although I started earlier than you around season 7 or 8 but these earlier seasons have been the best I think.

Lucy Knight dying. Watching this storyline at the moment and its a pretty sad one as she was just one of those characters that I really liked. Understandable though that the actor wanted to leave though as her sister was ill and it was reminding her too much of that.

Dr Greene dying. Kind of speaks for itself really, always teh character that everyone liked and was sad to see him go.

Romano losing his arm then dying. Just one of those ones that always stuck with me. Plus I couldnt help but laugh a bit that first he loses his arm to a helicopter and then one falls on him.

Lucy Knight dying. Watching this storyline at the moment and its a pretty sad one as she was just one of those characters that I really liked. Understandable though that the actor wanted to leave though as her sister was ill and it was reminding her too much of that.

Dr Greene dying. Kind of speaks for itself really, always teh character that everyone liked and was sad to see him go.

Romano losing his arm then dying. Just one of those ones that always stuck with me. Plus I couldnt help but laugh a bit that first he loses his arm to a helicopter and then one falls on him.

The first two you mention are the storylines that stand out the most for me during the entire run of the show. You had the whole arc with Lucy dying that then led to Carter's arc about drug addiction which was amazing.

Watching the episode On the Beach, where Greene dies in Hawaii still gets me when ever I watch it.

One thing im happy about was that they worked on softening Benton as the show went on. I really havent liked him in these early seasons. Only reason I dont hate the character is that I know he gets better as it goes on.

I always liked him and Carter, they were on paper such an unlikely friendship but the way it grew through the years was great to see.