N-Europe

ActionScript

Ashley

It was absolutely necessary for the position I was applying for :heh:

Not a great deal in terms of gaming. HTML, CSS and PHP and all that.

I think I will move to HTML5 myself (although in spite of the haters I do enjoy Flash (most of the time)) but as I say this was for a particular position.

I seem to remember flashkit being one of the better places for learning Actionscript (there community is pretty good for specific issues as well). Its been a few years since I've done anything with Actionscript though, so that may have changed.

If you end up buying a book at any point, you should be cautious of which platform the book is designed for. Some books are more focused on Flex, whereas others are focused on Flash.

As long as your familiar with the basics of programming (Branching, loops, variables, etc.) it should be relatively easy to get started. The Syntax is based around the C syntax (which is used by C, C++, C#, Java, etc), so if you have any experience with a language that uses it, you already have a head start.

Yeah, I should be learning Flash as well. I don’t like it personally on websites, but it is always a nice thing to add to your résumé when applying for a job. I can’t afford Flash, but if I get some tutorials, I probably can do everything I want through Flex, except for the animating / tweening stuff. Long ago I made something in the archaic Director for school. I should make something again!

I can't recommend Lynda(.com) enough for...well pretty much everything. They have a fair few videos free (normally the first few of any given topic within that particular program) and do a 7 day free trial so if you want intense learning you can go for that.

Wouldn't Adobe's own "Getting started" section be the first place to look, if you want to learn ActionScript? At least in combination with the AS3 API one should be able to learn all the basic things from there.

Had to learn a bit of ActionScript for a project around spring last year. Provided, I've never touched it since (never had to, only ever worked with a 30 day trial of Flash Professional), but by now I've forgotten most things it seems. :hmm: Overall though, if you know a bit about object oriented programming, it it was easy to get into.