N-Europe

The Thing "Prequel"

Hamishmash

A trailer and poster has been released for "The Thing" prequel and it doesn't look half bad.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-thing-trailer-poster/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+slashfilm+%28%2FFilm%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Seemingly dormant since appearing at the New York Comic Con last year, Universal’s prequel to John Carpenter’s The Thing has started to show signs of life this week. A teaser poster arrived (see below) and now there is a trailer.

The movie tells the tale of an ill-fated Norwegian research camp that dug up a shapeshifting alien something in the permafrost of Antarctica, as seen in the early scenes of John Carpenter’s movie. It stars Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Eric Christian Olsen, Joel Edgerton, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Ulrich Thomsen, Kim Bubbs, Trond Espen Seim, Stig Henrik Hoff, Jonathan Walker, and Carsten Bjørnlund and was directed by Matthijs van Heijningen Jr.

As far as prequels go this isn't SUCH a bad idea. It's not like in other films where we see the backstory of the characters, which is almost always dull and should have stayed as "backstory".

If you've seen the original "The Thing" (as in... the original REMAKE as we all know this is the prequel TO a remake of "The Thing From Another World") then you'll probably have thought "Oh my god, what happened to those people and that space ship" etc.

I think also that if people haven't seen the original, they won't feel like they're missing anything... It seems new enough to them.

My worry is that "The Thing" really hasn't dated that much. Like I saw it in the cinema recently and the special effects in it are still gruesome and exciting.

From what we can see in the trailer is that there will be practical effects which is good... I can't imagine them topping what has gone before and therefore, I can't help but feel people will leave the cinema feeling satisfied.

But whatevs. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is still cool, channelling Jodie Foster a bit there...

I just...argh. Even if it's good, it'll be shit. To me, the sequence at the Norwegian base in the original is perfect - without a word it tells you everything you'll ever want or need to know about what happened there. a prequel is essentially pointless.

Exactly. It's bloody amazing - you can literally track the series of events start to finish as they walk end to end through the base too. Fiendishly clever bit of film, it is.

So yeah- the trailer actually looks pretty good. Potentially decent thriller in the make there but the story has already been told to perfection. Without even being told, really.