NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Zell

F-Zero GX - The F stands for "Fucking Awesome"

At the time X was a marvel. It had 30 individual racers on the track and an awful lot of tracks compared to the paltry offering of MK64. MK was always the party favourite but when everyone has gone and it's just you and the N64 left in the same room, MK64 can't touch X.

GX may seem like it's over styled and stuff but at not one point did the gameplay suffer because of it. Track design was phenomenal and the handling of the craft was brilliant too. And lots of content.

X came first and it holds a special place as the first 3D entry and it did everything right pretty much - compromises were made but they always felt sensible of worthy. GX came along and did everything right again, but it gave us more. And this time, nothing was sacrificed.

Music wise, they are both excellent but I can't help but think that the crunching midi guitar sound would have been somewhat out of place in GX. X, in all it's official and in game artwork, had the full on comic book vibe. And whilst GX is still a pantomime, it's a differently styled world. It's slicker and more grown up in some senses.

I was never a fan of Big Blue as a track. I think Infinite Blue is a much better track than the other versions of Big Blue and fits the races much better.

The only track I miss from X is Dream Chaser (Silence).

X was probably more amazing at it's time of release than GX was when it came out - but that didn't stop GX being pretty special itself when it arrived and the better game overall.

Well I've only experienced slow down in F-zero GX once and it was purely by chance. I happened to be going over a jump along with 3 other racers and we all boosted at the same time giving about a second and a half of slow down. Otherwise it is probably one of the most impressive racing games I've ever played. Unfortunately it doesn't seem that there is room for a game like this in Nintendo's blue ocean but hopefully wii U will change that. Imaging using the touch controller to properly customise your own machine. Maybe even restructuring parts so they don't look like individual lego pieces.

Also GX has a kickass sound track. Importing the OST for £25 all those years ago was seriously worth it.

Just got back into this a little.

Spent at least an hour and a half on Chapter 7 in Story Mode, damn that sh!t is cruel as hell, but I made it eventually. 'T was an incredibly tight photo-finish though.

Such a beautiful game, so smooth and so .... hmmmm, hardcore.

The word 'hardcore' here, means techno-pop :laughing:

Just got back into this a little.

Spent at least an hour and a half on Chapter 7 in Story Mode, damn that sh!t is cruel as hell, but I made it eventually. 'T was an incredibly tight photo-finish though.

Such a beautiful game, so smooth and so .... hmmmm, hardcore.

The word 'hardcore' here, means techno-pop :laughing:

Was that on normal difficulty? Wait until you get to very hard and you have to do 5 laps - if it only takes you an hour and half, then you're much better than I'll ever be.

Was that on normal difficulty? Wait until you get to very hard and you have to do 5 laps - if it only takes you an hour and half, then you're much better than I'll ever be.

I ain't touching hard, son. I got to think about my sanity!

I ain't touching hard, son. I got to think about my sanity!

It certainly isn't for the faint of heart, no. You need a lot of patience and a lot of time on your hands especially when one minor error can cost the entire race. If you can take out Black Bull at the very start though.

Chapter 8 isn't as difficult as 7 you'll be thankful to know. Chapter 8 also has good music which in a game like this isn't saying much given how good the rest is but it's the only chance you'll get to hear it.

I do wish they'd made the actual race tracks from the story mode available to be used in the other modes though beyond the Oval though.

(I can't believe I never posted in this thread)

I remember when I beat Chapter 7 on Very Hard. God, it was like winning a medal at the olympics. It was shortly before I went camping with a few cousins and I had the silliest grin on my face during the entire car trip there.

Next time I have the itch to play Excitetruck, I should take F-Zero GX for a ride, too.

There seriously needs to be a new F-Zero game like straight away for the Wii-U.

I played the shit out of this game but got tired of playing the AI after a while. With online play I can see myself losing any free time I may have had in the future to play it non-stop :p

Sign in to follow this