N-Europe

Help! (about spyware)

Pancake

I was surfing the net and suddenly my computer "spoke" to me. It said something like "you may have spyware on your computer, it may be neccessary to remove it right away, click yes to continue" But there was no window that popped up with a "yes" option so there was nothing to click.

There was no dodgy pop-up adverts on my screen so it couldn't have come from that so that makes me think it was genuine. I disconnted from the net and did a virus scan (but that will only detect viruses and not spyware, right?) Nothing came up. I have Avast virus protection and Zonealarm firewall.

It's made me paranoid now cos i was in the middle of putting my credit card details on a site when it happened. Before that, i had downloaded a screensaver off a site (screensaver.com) so i'm thinking maybe it was that.

I suppose my question is, is there any way to tell if i have spyware??

You've downloaded adware with your screensaver as it tells you here:

http://www.screensaver.com/Advertising_Policy.cfm

The voice would probably have been Avast talking to you, as it does. If the progs Platty gave don't work then try Microsft Antispyware as that's a bit of a tank. Then don't waste your time downloading crappy screensavers in the future. :heh: