N-Europe

Never let me go

Sméagol

[Going against the trend], I'm creating a thread for a movie which to most of you seems already old probably, but it was just released here in The Netherlands. So for those of you who have yet to see this as well:

I thought it was great. It's a drama, but with a slight sci-fi hint to it, which makes it stand out in my opinion. Some of the concepts in this movie are quite disturbing, and could probaby fit in a thriller or even a horror.. But this movie never emphasizes those concepts, instead it deals with the troubled youth of 3 teenagers. Which is why I thought it was great, you go watch a good drama, but when you think about what you've seen, that is when you start getting nauseous ;). Like I've seen and heard mentioned from various other people, the "kids" playing the younger versions of the 3 main characters, are well cast indeed. I'd also definately like to see more of Carey Mulligan, I wondered where I'd seen her before, but it was Doctor Who apparently, in one of its greatest episodes.

It's a really good film. The book is (wait for it...) better, but the adaptation does some great work too. Particularly in the way the donors are treated by surgeons and doctors. It's...very disturbing. Reminiscent of Nazi scientists and human testing, almost. And the broken, shitty toys they get sent as kids are just heartbreaking. On top of that, I thought Andrew Garfield was just terrific as Tommy and Mulligan was pitch perfect for Cathy.

What annoyed me though was that they made the film so much more of a love triangle than the book ever was. I can see why they'd do it, but in the process they made Ruth's character so much less developed. In the book, you really understood why they were friends and the way she fantasises about all kinds of things is quite sad, more than anything. In the film she was just a love rival and she came across as a total bitch. It was a disappointing turn in an otherwise brilliant adaptation.

Perhaps I'll get that book one day. I'm not much of a book reader, but I'd love to know more about their Hailsham days. Fortunately the novel is in English apparently, so I can get the original version without the fear of translation changes (since the writer is Japanese).

The author is at least as British as he is Japanese, if not more so - he moved to England when he was 6 and has been a citzen for half of his life. And his writing is very culturally English - just look at The Remains of the Day if you need confirmation of this.

Anyway, this is a film I'd like to see but haven't got round to, although I was never very keen on the novel. It didn't help that I got majorly spoiled before reading it, but I also found the pathos a bit forced, and the main character somewhat unconvincing.