NEurope

Me and my girlfriend (surprisingly not Ashley), are going to Dublin in a few weeks. The flights are booked but the hotel isn't. I know a few people live near/in Dublin and I'm sure many people have visited, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend somewhere good to stay and things to do, places to see etc?

Obviously Guinness Factory tour because pretty much EVERYONE does that. I've also been recommended the Dublin castle.

So yeah, any contributions helpful thanks! :)

I've only stayed in one hotel in Dublin, Jurys Inn on the Quay, was alright, price was decent too I think. Only stayed there as it was close to The Point (O2) for an Iron Maiden gig. There's a ton hotels around though, if you got a couple in mind post them up and I'll let you know if I've heard anything bout them.

For in Dublin, I'm sure your girlfriend will want to do some shopping (in case she doesn't know already). Main shopping street would be Grafton Street, then O'Connel and Henry Streets (Henry street is actually connected to O'Connel, Grafton on other side of the river). If yer looking for some pubs/clubs in the nighttime, the Temple Bar area is meant to be the main nightlife area.

For things to do in Dublin (touristy stuff) go here http://www.dublintourist.com/directory/places_to_visit/

When you say a "few weeks" how long do you mean? If your gonna be there for awhile you should try explore outside Dublin too as you'll have the time. There's tons of things to see around the country.

What Mokong said, and Temple Bar is also good for vintage shopping and other interesting things. Check out George's St. Arcade, too. The Porterhouse pub is famous for beer.

St. Stephen's Green and Phoenix Park are wonderful to visit on nice days.

I've never been, but my housemate is always raving about the Chester Beatty Library, which houses many Islamic and East Asian manuscripts and other exhibits.

There's a church with mummies in it called St. Michan's.

Are you more into shopping, eating, nightlife or museums/galleries? I can tell you more if you specify :) I've never stayed in any hotels here though, so I can't say anything about accommodation, sorry.

Here's a good site for weekly events in Dublin: http://www.lecool.com/dublin/en/today

Edited by EddieColeslaw

Our flights are booked to go on 1st April. Only for weekend because we both need to revise for final year exams but need a brief break!

Thanks for your help, I'll be sure to tell her about the shopping and do some research on the temple bar. Its the hotels I'm mainly thinking of at the moment, I know there are loads of hotels, we just want to pick a good one somewhere near centre that is good for value. I'll look out for your one Mokong!

My housemate is a food and wine writer who's reviewed a lot of hotels. I'll ask her for some hotels tomorrow and let you know. Or you tell me the names of some you find, and I'll ask her about them! Are you considering B&Bs?

Wow thanks Eddie! Er I think its more hotels, just normalish 3-4 star hotels I guess, mainly for room. We're undecided on whether we should get breakfast included or just go out in the morning to grab something. But literally anything you could find out would be great! Just to give me some idea, as I can find deals but I prefer reviews from people.

Ah if you're willing to go up to 4 star see if you can get a good price on The Gresham Hotel in Dublin, it's right in the middle(ish) of O'Connel Street, smack in the middle of the city.

Having looked at that hotel, it looks very nice and I'll tell my girlfriend about it, but I think we're looking for something slightly cheaper, we are only students afterall :p

D4 Hotels are very nice and have some really good offers on at the moment. You have the choice of 3 star, 3+ star or 4 star. What do you think? I can give you more names if you like.

For good value, look for price per room instead of price per person.

Do NOT stay in Temple Bar, it's very noisy and gets rowdy at night.

Try to stay on the south side of the river/city! edit: I was referring to accommodation, as it gets more expensive the further up you go but at the same level of niceness! Of course you shouldn't constrain yourself to the south side of Dublin when it comes to activities :)

Edited by EddieColeslaw

D4 Hotels are very nice and have some really good offers on at the moment. You have the choice of 3 star, 3+ star or 4 star. What do you think? I can give you more names if you like.

For good value, look for price per room instead of price per person.

Do NOT stay in Temple Bar, it's very noisy and gets rowdy at night.

Try to stay on the south side of the river/city!

Woo, South Side!

Thanks for the D4 hotel site, it looks nice. Going to sort it out tonight hopefully and book something.

Any last other options you know of? Diageo? :p

I don't know anything about hotels really. I hardly ever stay in them, especially not in Dublin since I live here. There are a lot of nice looking, famous hotels in the south side, especially the D4 area, but all I know of them is that they look nice from outside.

It's very easy to get anywhere from the south side. There are a fair few good hotels like The Four Seasons, Bewleys, D4 Hotels, etc...

I know a few good clubs to go to, most of them being in the city centre and easy to get to. The Academy, Alchemy, Tripod, Button Factory, Dandelion, Howl at the Moon, etc.

If you really like that touristy stuff then you can take the tour bus that goes around the city and stops at all the most touristy places, including the Guiness Brewery. There's also a Tayto Theme park in Ashbourne, and a new London Eye copy ferris wheel they added.

That is not only a bad joke, but wrong. It keeps diminishing! :p

Its Retro-Cool! :p

Oh pish-posh D4! Faaawk saaik :p Where you'll find your typical snobs [being stereotypical]

Seriously though, I stayed in a hotel before called Bewleys, I think. It may have one or two other words wacked on. Great and VERY cheap hotel. You have to pay for breakfast but I can't think of any actual faults :) Very much recommended!!