N-Europe

Surround Sound for TV/DVD/Gaming

nekunando

Last year I got a new 22" Samsung HDTV that I have my XBOX 360 (HDMI), Wii (Component), SNES/N64/PS2 (AV) and Dreamcast (RGB) hooked up to :smile:

With that in mind, I'm now wondering if there are any good surround sound systems that I can connect everything to as I want to become futher absorbed in my entertainment.. but at a reasonable price :heh:

Does anyone know of anything, preferably below £100, that might interest me? The space around my TV is very limited due to having it placed on top of a chest of drawers with my Wii and XBOX 360..

Edited by nekunando

As far as I know, most people go to Logitech for the budget surround system needs.. Take a look:

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers?WT.ac=bc|47|234

Edit:

Click "5.1" in the menu left.

Edit2:

Ah sorry.. You want to connect them all, I'm not sure. Surely you can just hook up the speakers to your TV for the sound to work for all devices?

Edited by Sméagol

You'll just have to look at the connections you can make.. But you can generally assume you can hook up your "PC speakers" to your TV some way or the other.

I've looked into it myself some time ago, but I have no actual hands-on experience, so I'm not sure of the following anymore, but:

I think your problem may be if you want to be able to use digital surround (dolby digital, dts), in which case you need to connect your speakers to your TV using a digital connection (you'll have to look for digital optical or coaxial cable). I've taken another look at the Logitech site, but they're shit when it comes to offering the actual specs of their products. If you can't connect digitally, you'll need a receiver/decoder, but that will be way out of your budget ;).

I think you'll have to be content with analog surround (max 6 channels), and than the budget PC speakers should be fine.

I don't think you'll get any surround, unless your speakers or your TV itself will convert stereo into some sort of fake surround.. That's not the option I'd take.

Your TV should have 3 audio outputs, 1 for the fronts, 1 for the rears, and 1 for the center & sub, otherwise, 6 outputs for seperate channels for RCA cables. Likewise, your speakers should have 3 inputs (or 6, but in the case of budget PC speakers 3 is more likely). Both your TV and speakers may have different options as well.

Maybe you could post the model numbers of the TV you have and the speakers you have in mind?

Hmm, I'm still not sure, I've been going over your manual, but it looks like Samsung just has general manuals for the complete model series, and not individual models, so I don't know if this applies to you.. You'll still have to take a look at the rear of your TV. Look at the connections at the back, on the top left corner it should have a "digital audio out (optical)". If so, your speakers will need a digital audio in (optical). I see no other audio outs (well, except for stereo only), so I think this is your only option..