NEurope
chairdriver

Activism

Got this in my Facebook inbox today:

The reason I like Lady Gaga is that she's so self-aware. She's a walking self-parody, and I think she's extremely clever in the way she markets herself. Also, she's aware that fame is a powerful powerful tool -- she's progressively getting more involved in LGBT politics, and its clear her intent is to try and change attitudes of young people towards queer culture and queer people. For example, 10 years ago her most recent video for Alejandro would have been censored no doubt and she would have been accused of corrupting youth. I think its an extremely positive thing that she's bringing a culture that has been underground ever since the 50s and making it something cool and popular.

I've said this before, and I'll say this again -- I'm amazed that she has the audacity of huge to risk her whole success in pursuing something like this which, certainly in certain parts of USA, would be equivalent to stardom death. I've recently become more and more interested in activism, particularly LGBT activism (particularly because gay hate is a personally tangible injustice, and is one of those things you feel is out of place in a modern society), and Lady Gaga, strangely, has moved me to give a shit.

So. Activism. What's everyone's thoughts/reactions/input?

What is Activism exactly?

Activism consists of intentional action to bring about social, political, economic, or environmental change. This action is in support of, or opposition to, one side of an often controversial argument. In contemporary use, "activism" tends to be a word associated with the actions and ideologies of those on the political left.

The word "activism" is used synonymously with protest or dissent, but activism can take a wide range of forms from writing letters to newspapers or politicians, political campaigning, economic activism such as boycotts or preferentially patronizing businesses, rallies, street marches, strikes, both work stoppages and hunger strikes, or even guerrilla tactics.

In this case her asking people to phone their senators in order to sway the vote is an example of activism.

I'm all for people fighting for what they believe in. Even if they're pricks, or believe in something I don't.

...Well, maybe not if they're pricks, otherwise they'll only harm their own cause :heh:

Anyway, this kind of action is the best way to utilize your fame, so I'm all for it.

I have no doubt this country will see a whole lot more activism over the next few years now the tories are back in charge.

Ah, yes, I see why you got confused. Pretty similar.

Lady Gaga is just getting better and better. Her input towards greater acceptance of the LGBT community mirrors Nina Simone's input towards the acceptance of the black community in the 60's.

Although, it's obviously not a good thing regarding the prejudice of the LGBT community, I can't help but be a little proud and happy that I can live through this and watch great changes right before my eyes. It makes me happy that I have a contemporary artist that I can actually and genuinely look up to as well.

Well I think she is right. Anyone with a problem with Gay people should be the ones kicked out, not the Gay people themselves. It is ridiculous the way it is at the moment.

I'm not going to consume any of her horrendous musical output but I do respect what she is and what she does.

I think it is also amazing that even the rumors surrounding her, show that not everything is black and white. People nowadays are so aware of the possibility of her having a dick, but at least it makes them aware that even gender is not black or white.

Just something I was thinking about :p

Also, I didn't realize that your video was fake until have way through when the guy said one soldier life is worth 7 homosexuals. By then I was like..."wait a minute..." :p

So the fact that she was dressing in mockery of the beurocratic route of argument is in favour of her seriousness?

I thought she looked ridiculous, and she spent so long posing for pictures that it just reeked of stupidity. She's just hooked upon the right thing at the right time, because we all know how stupid the DADT 'rule' is.

I just don't think her heart is in it at all. She lucked upon an easy target to increase her profile, tbh.

I just don't think her heart is in it at all. She lucked upon an easy target to increase her profile, tbh.

She may have selfish intent, but in that selfish act she's changing the opinions of thousands of young people that would otherwise be apathetic by default. That alone makes her far better than most celebrities. She's actually doing something with her fame.

Also it's hardly a one-off thing - she's been doing it for almost a year now.

This video's from 11th Oct 2009.

I agree. Even though you have a presumption that it is for selfish intent, isn't that at least better than doing nothing or worse, doing something 'bad'?

Gaga is fighting for the rights of many people, particularly the gay community. So, I can't see how you can argue with the fact that she is helping others.

Maybe I'm just missing your point :hmm:

It's hardly out of character. She's always championed the 'queer' and subversions of heteronormativism.

I never said it was a one-off. Yes I know she likes to put fake penises down her trousers. Yes, uhhuh, yes.

The majority of westerners understand that gay-bashing is trollish. DADT is considered old and archaic, even by people running teh armiez. She points this out. She wins at life!

I've always hated rallies because it's one person shouting things at a bunch of people that they already agree with. I don't see this as an act of kindness. Or a good deed. Because I care so little about it. But just enough to make these posts!

I prefer my activists less bothered about aesthetics and prefer those who want actual social reform. I don't care for the army.

I prefer my activists less bothered about aesthetics and prefer those who want actual social reform.

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

So the fact that she was dressing in mockery of the beurocratic route of argument is in favour of her seriousness?

I thought she looked ridiculous, and she spent so long posing for pictures that it just reeked of stupidity. She's just hooked upon the right thing at the right time, because we all know how stupid the DADT 'rule' is.

I'm glad you posted before I did, takes the heat off me saying I question celebrities who do stuff like this because I always feel at the root of it they just want to highten their fame. Especially when it's Lady Gaga and it appears she'd do anything to get in the paper, including a dress made of meat..

The whole point of activism is that it is contingent on visibility. That makes Lady Gaga, the biggest fame-whore around, the perfect activist.

It would be one thing if people were actually listening to her but in the last week how many news stories/general attention have been about her meat dress (and to a lesser extent her use in Glee) compared to this?