N-Europe

Recovery of a non-booting xp netbook?

Rummy

OK, this isn't for me, and realisticly, it might just be theoretical as my friend's netbook is actually still under warranty, but I found myself curious and finding various 'solutions' via Google so I thought I'd ask you guys if you've encountered such a problem, and your simplest solutions for it.

Basically, Windows XP isn't booting on my mate's netbook, he says it freezes or bluescreens at like the windows logo loading screen. Now, in the old days, an easy option for a solution of this would be to just simply to pop your windows cd into the drive, and try using the recovery console to fix the startup files/boot sector, buuuuuuuuuut...netbooks don't tend to have cd drives!

Basically, has anyone ever encountered needing to do this, and what did you do to solve it? I usually end up being tech support for people I know, and it's a problem I've yet to encounter, but expect I will one day, and it'd be something I'd hope to solve without resorting to a factory restore etc

Mm, I actually have a persistant live linux distro on a usb atm(in it right now on my sister's laptop!), I keep forgetting to find out exactly what his error message is, though, and I literally saw him 10 minutes ago. I'll ask him and see.

EDIT: As suspected, he says it bluescreens and restarts too fast to tell what the error is.

EDIT: As suspected, he says it bluescreens and restarts too fast to tell what the error is.

While mashing f8 on start up is there something like an option that says halt on errors / disable automatic restart or something to that effect?

Or can you not even get that far?

Edit: never mind I think its a Vista / 7 only option.

Edited by Ten10