NEurope
Guy

Invader Zim

invader-zim.jpg

I've recently been re-watching this incredible gift of animation and I thought it might be nice to throw a discussion thread up for discussion. I guessed it would also be a nice way to induct newbies into the wonderfully warped world of Zim.

Then I realised I was actually making the thread as I thought about all these things. Strange.

Invader Zim is the greatest animated series ever produced by Nickelodeon. Yes, even better than Ren and Stimpy and Spongebob*. It was masterminded by the oddball creative Jhonen Vazquez, possibly the worst candidate in existence to approach about making a cartoon for kids.

Premise that I didn't steal from Wikipedia

Invader Zim revolves around the life of its lead character, Zim, his malfunctioning SIR Unit, GIR, and the humans and aliens who become involved in his schemes. Zim is a member of the imperialistic Irken race, an extraterrestrial species whose social hierarchy is based on height. The Irken leaders, known as the Almighty Tallest serve together because they are exactly the same height. Zim, who is both very short and very naïve, was banished to the planet Foodcourtia for over zealously attacking his own planet and allies during Operation Impending Doom I.

Upon hearing of Operation Impending Doom II, Zim "quits" his exile in Foodcourtia and arrives at the Great Assigning. Here, elite Irken soldiers are chosen to become Invaders: special soldiers whose mission it is to blend in with the indigenous life forms of their assigned planet, collect intelligence, and prepare the planet for conquest by the Irken Armada. Zim pleads with the Tallest to assign him a planet, and in a desperate act to get Zim as far away as possible, they assign him to a presumed planet on the outskirts of their known universe that has never been explored. This "Mystery Planet" is Earth, and Zim's erratic attempts at world domination and/or the eradication of the human race begin when he lands on earth for the first time.

---

If you have seen this, worship the greatness. If you have yet to see it... experience the greatness and then... begin... worshipping it. Yeah.

FIRST EPISODE CAN BE WATCHED HERE.

THIS IS IN CAPS BECAUSE THE SHOW IS LOUD AND FULL OF YELLING.

If you like it, the rest is linked down the side column. There are worse ways to spend your time.

*Please read the word Spongebob as if it's being uttered with ultimate malice. Because that is how I utter it.

Edited by Guy

Don't diss Spongebob, the first and second seasons were genius.

But yeah, Invader Zim is the greatest. Gir is my favourite thing in the world of cartoons.

Why does this thread only have one response? I commend you, Scoop! I loved Invader Zim when it was first on TV, it didn't run for long if I remember correctly. Really dark, yet such a funny and genius animation.

Invader Zim is quite excellent, but the greatest thing from Nickelodeon...no. That would be Avatar imo.

Spongebob is pretty terrible though, but I feel it helped to pave the way for better shows like Chowder or Adventure Time.

I loved Invader Zim, so amazed at the things that would be considered children's television. I wish it was still on.

Hilarious show and all.

Funnily enough, the shows creator Jhonen Vasquez absolutely loathes a lot of the fans he attracted with this show and uses every chance to mock them.

If you like Invader Zim, you should look at some of the comics he makes, some of them are just so wrong that it becomes hilarious.