NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
K-project

Pro Evolution Soccer 2011

Relax guys, I don't have any new news, but I wanted to start the discussion, and hopefully soon we'll get to see something solid. I have to say it seems very late in the day and yet still we seem to have nothing new to go on. It's released soon! I managed to find

which claims to be gameplay from the new Wii game. Looking at it, even though it's pretty low quality footage, it does indeed seem to be neither the 2009 nor the 2010 edition. It seems to have some better detail on the players, and there's also what looks like a new option to swing the camera around the field on set plays, which could prove useful.

Please, if you have any news or info, post it up here for us all, especially me. I love to see the new Wii PES every year, and though I skipped the 2010 edition (offered little over 2009 imho) I'm edging towards picking the 2011 version up if it has some worthwhile improvements. Cheers all. :)

I actually went looking for some information on PES 2011 the other night and came across the same video..

I really enjoyed PES 2008 which, somewhat surprisingly, is my most played Wii game, according to the Nintendo Channel, at roughly 108 hours :eek: A lot of that is down to playing it online with darksnowman..

Strangely, PES 2009 doesn't appear in the records on the Nintendo Channel, but I know I definitely didn't play it anywhere near as much, despite it being a significant improvement on the year before!

Like you, K-project, I skipped PES 2010 as I didn't feel it would offer all that much different to PES 2009.. and, to be honest, I'm not sure if this will raise the bar much further again having watched the video :hmm:

Yeah I know what you mean there. It does look somewhat better in the graphics department, mostly on the players, which would make difference to me personally. I didn't expect to see much improvement to the stadia and the pitches, and the video bears this out.

What I'd really like to see is Konami easing off on the patching of the Wii version. They made it so prohibitively difficult on the last versions that it made it pointless attempting it, thereby negating a huge amount of the game's appeal. It's crazy really, as it's a major feature of PES and being able to use community patches and upgrades to the game adds to it's popularity. I'm playing the PC version of PES2010 with the Smoke patch, and frankly I couldn't look at another football game after that without it being patchable. The Smoke patch is just incredible, and while I wouldn't expect a Wii patch to match it for detail, it would go a long way to making the game look much better.

I get the feeling with the Wii version though that Konami have done what they set out to do with the game and won't be adding much more to it from now on. A shame, as I've been a big champion of the Wii control system and how much it can bring to a football game. Like you, I don't expect v.2011 to be that much further on from any of the last games. But I remain hopeful. :)

I actually went looking for some information on PES 2011 the other night and came across the same video..

I really enjoyed PES 2008 which, somewhat surprisingly, is my most played Wii game, according to the Nintendo Channel, at roughly 108 hours :eek: A lot of that is down to playing it online with darksnowman..

Strangely, PES 2009 doesn't appear in the records on the Nintendo Channel, but I know I definitely didn't play it anywhere near as much, despite it being a significant improvement on the year before!

Like you, K-project, I skipped PES 2010 as I didn't feel it would offer all that much different to PES 2009.. and, to be honest, I'm not sure if this will raise the bar much further again having watched the video :hmm:

After reading your post I decided to download the Nintendo Channel to see just which games I have played the most, but some don't show up - COD:MWR, Ghost Squad, HotD 2&3 to name just 3! They are also games I really enjoyed and played a lot.

I'm gonna ask this qestion elsewhere to see if someone can help, as I'd love data for all my games. Oh, my most played game is Mario Kart, a shocking 365 hours lol.

I think Nintendo don't have some games on their game database - I had the same problem. SOme games just pop up out of nowhere so I guess they just add them when they get time?

On topic: Can't wait for PES 2011, but a bit torn between starting a whole new game and continuing my awesome Mii team in 2010.

. Pretty poor quality and you don't get to see much. To me it doesn't look like there's a lot between this and the 2009 version I'm still playing on Wii. Hard to tell if the graphics are any better or if they are just using a better TV than me!

If I'm really looking it seems perhaps the camera isn't quite as zoomed in as the last versions, which is a good thing imho. Often the ball gets lost in the action in 2009, which grinds my gears and sends me back to PES2010 on the PC. I know it needs to be pulled back to enable the gameplay, but to me if it loses the ball then it loses the plot. This looks a bit better initially.

Can we have something official please Konami?

Thanks for posting the video, lostmario.. but aren't they scraping the barrel a bit when they have to promote the 'Adjustable camera for more exciting corner kicks' as a new feature..? :eek:

To be honest, I'm starting to look towards the 3DS to see what they can come up with there as the touch screen should lend itself perfectly to playmaker controls, as explained in a post I made almost three years ago :indeed:

Edited by nekunando

Thanks for the video LostMario! :)

Dunno what I think yet really. On first glance there's not a lot in it is there? Looks much the same as the 2009 version initially. But I'm liking the look of the set play changes (and secretly hoping it's not too complicated in use!), and I seem to be right that the players have had a slight graphical improvement. But beyond that it's hard to say without actually getting your hands on it.

I think I'll wait and see what the reviews are like before ordering. Not so much the professional reviews, as they don't really get the Wii, but reviews from gamers here and around the net. If it's a good price I may be tempted. :)

Cynical bumpage just to add that my copy's been posted out now from ShopTo (It was a good price!), so I'll let you guys know my initial feelings (presuming you care of course;)) as soon as I get my grubby mitts on it. Been playing a lot of PES2009 lately just to prepare (and compare), and have been surprised by just how much I've missed the Wii controls. Amazing some of the things you can do in the game that just aren't possible with any other football title.

Hope this will be good. :)

I actually played some PES 2009 last week again and was a little surprised by how enjoyable it still was! I may get PES 2011 when the price goes down but I'm not sure if I need it yet :indeed:

I'm really craving getting a new footie game for the Wii. How does it work with the teams? I haven't played a pro evo game for a long time, but will we actually get to play as Man United, Inter Milan, Sunderland, etc. All the right players and so forth?

I'm really craving getting a new footie game for the Wii. How does it work with the teams? I haven't played a pro evo game for a long time, but will we actually get to play as Man United, Inter Milan, Sunderland, etc. All the right players and so forth?

If it is anything like the PS3/XBOX360 version, and I can only imagine it will be in this aspect, you'll be able to play as Manchester United and Spurs from the Premier League and a selection of other European sides..

I'm stuck with Merseyside Red and a horrible kit :eek:

..and horrible players.. but they're real!

Edited by nekunando

Got this today in the post.

I'm not a big fan of football games, but thought I would give this a try. I will need to get used to the controls, before I go online.

Yay, mine turned up too today! Brilliant! Big up ShopTo.net. :heart: Luckily I'm off work for a few days too. :yay:

So far I have to say I'm absolutely loving it. :) First impressions were a bit muted though, and I was a bit disappointed. It's initially very similar to the 2009 game (sorry I didn't have PES2010 so can't compare), even down to the menu structure. You can't help but feel a bit cheated. There's some (I think) licensed new music, but I didn't recognise any of it. Dig a bit into the gameplay though and there's little improvements to love...

Holding Z trigger while running with the analogue stick now makes your player sprint, leaving your other hand free to position other players much easier. A small but brilliant inclusion. There's now also much better analogue stick control over any player you highlight. Previously you didn't have this ability in PES2009, and could only drag players with the remote. It's great to have this option, and it adds an extra layer of control.

The zonal defending is sooo much better. Positioning a defender in the path of an attacking player results in the defender displaying much better intelligence defending an area automatically, by actually trying to take the ball. It's brilliant. :)

In fact, AI is way better right across the board I think, and this is especially evident when playing with the classic controller, which has had some control improvements too. Chiefly, I don't have to tap the sprint button all the bloody time any more to get the player to run consistently. :D

The new free kick system is much better than previous efforts. You can switch to a close up view, and then by moving the remote you can position the shot then add bend by tilting it left or right before letting rip. Again, it's a much better solution.

The graphics are better. There I've said it, but not massively so. It's a bit more realistic looking and the players eyes move around a bit. The team's sporting proper kits and whatnot look great, but again the generic ones look dated, and the stadia are showing their age too. Shame, but I'm kinda sneakily hoping that it'll be easier this time to add a community patch. Hopefully Konami won't have been so aggressive this time out. I'd love an easy way to update the game properly. There's still that funny screen refresh shimmer for some reason though.

It's early days yet for me with the game, and I've spent a bit of time just enjoying the feel again and uncovering new bits as I go. I haven't touched the Master League or much else yet, just the training camps and exhibition games, and normal league and cup games. But after a sombre start for me it's really starting to show it's colours somewhat. For me PES is still one of the very best examples of what the Wii controls can do when properly approached. PES 2011 is not a massive leap though, and for those of you who feel you've played this game already in previous iterations there might be little incentive to upgrade. But for the saddos like me there's subtle improvements that only enhance the game further. :)

Holding Z trigger while running with the analogue stick now makes your player sprint, leaving your other hand free to position other players much easier. A small but brilliant inclusion.

This inclusion alone may be enough to make me get PES 2011 :yay: I always felt this was needed and would hope that it may actually help persuade my friend to give Pro Evolution Soccer on the Wii another go as it will feel like a more traditional way of moving the player on the ball :hehe:

How is the shooting this year? Like you, I skipped PES 2010 but did feel like the shooting in previous years wasn't quite deep enough :hmm: Also, is there now any ability to control the power of passes? I assume not but it would be nice to be wrong :heh:

Also, is there an online Master League or Become a Legend mode? What about the camera options? When I played PES 2009 recently, while I understand you need the camera out far to be able to see what's happening, I felt I would have liked it just a little bit closer as it's important to see what's happening around the player with the ball too..

Anyway, I'm actually excited to play it as FIFA on the XBOX 360 and PS3 has become a little stale of late and I've started to miss playing PES on the Wii! I remember seeing PES 2010 on offer for Wii at £18.95 on Zavvi only a couple of weeks after launch in their 'Mega Monday' deals. I didn't invest that time, but a similar deal this year and I will definitely pick it up :grin:

Thanks for the impressions, K-Project :smile:

Edited by nekunando

Shooting is much the same, or at least I haven't come across anything yet that seems to make it any different. There's no way to control the power, which is probably due to the fact that you can't manage that on the nunchuck well. To be honest it's not something that bothers me very much at all on PES, since in all the years I've been playing the game the power control has always been crazy and pointless. I remember PES4, where if shots were controlled with even the slightest tap of the button, the power bar would shoot through the roof and the shot would balloon. It's never been consistent through the years or any cop. :D At least on the Wii there's the B button shot where you can select the angle. That was another funny one with old PES's. Wrenching the stick into a particular angle of shot, only to sit wondering why the guy shot into the other side. ::shrug:

I'm really sorry but I can't speak for the online modes sadly as it's something I don't use. I'll have a look though and see if there's anything. As for the camera, no changes there either I'm afraid. :( I was a bit upset about this at first. What would it hurt to put a couple of different angles in for the player to choose? I can only imagine they were either too lazy, or as I suspect is more likely the game just isn't playable in this way with closer up viewing fields. For some reason it hasn't bothered me much this time. Maybe it's because the ball doesn't seem to get lost in the action at the far side. There are two closer angles for those of you playing with classic controllers though. The classic controls feel much better imo this year. Much nicer feel than 2009.

It's available for £19.85 on ShopTo, and I will say that I'd never used these before but they seem pretty cool. Mine arrived next day delivery which really surprised me, and I'd definitely use them again.

I'd been playing the PC version of PES 2010 for about a year now, and I absolutely love it. I think it's one of the best PES's there's ever been (though I know some might disagree, they always do). I decided to plump for the Wii game after playing the PC demo for 2011. It's not that it's bad, far from it. It's a brilliant step on for the game. It's just that a lot of what they're trying to achieve with the game on other platforms is already there in the Wii game. Particularly the passing this year. The PC game has added this passing power bar and intelligent movement system that really tries to ape the Wii system imho. It does a great job of it, but it's much less complicated on the Wii and makes more sense once you get used to it. Plus, I've missed playing footie on the big TV. :)

Woah, big post. Sorry dudes.

I played some PES 2009 this morning and it was still really good :hehe: I played with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, the Classic Controller and the Wii Remote on its side and I had a blast with each configuration :grin:

If only I could get my friends to play with me because that really makes or breaks a football game :hmm:

I played some PES 2009 this morning and it was still really good :hehe: I played with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, the Classic Controller and the Wii Remote on its side and I had a blast with each configuration :grin:

If only I could get my friends to play with me because that really makes or breaks a football game :hmm:

It is still a brilliant game. Last thing I want to do is say "hey rush out guys and get the new game, it's way better!", when really there is not a massive amount between them, and many wouldn't be able to justify the purchase. However for me there is plenty new in it to warrant the upgrade, and if nothing else the game has completely reinvigorated my love for PES on the Wii. It's truly amazing, and for me the new one is the best version yet.

Hey I wonder if they'll adopt the Wii controls now on the PS3 version...? They have that Move thing like the Wii setup don't they?

Hey I wonder if they'll adopt the Wii controls now on the PS3 version...? They have that Move thing like the Wii setup don't they?

I actually wondered the same thing.. but I can't say I'm too bothered as Playstation Move still doesn't really do anything for me :eek: It somehow doesn't feel right to me.. but I haven't really given it the time of day since my brother bought it so.. yeh.. :indeed:

If I do end up getting PES 2011 for the Wii (and with the worrying lack of desire to play anything on the XBOX 360 that has reared its head again after only a few months, it looks very possible), I hope you'll be around to play some games if you ever jump into the online arena :smile:

If I do end up getting PES 2011 for the Wii (and with the worrying lack of desire to play anything on the XBOX 360 that has reared its head again after only a few months, it looks very possible), I hope you'll be around to play some games if you ever jump into the online arena :smile:

Heh, thanks for the offer. :) I wouldn't want to share my piss poor skills with anyone, so I tend to shy away from online play. I love the game very much but I'm not that great at it. It's odd but I only have a passing interest in actual football, but I'm a big fan of football games. ::shrug::D

I'm still only on 4 stars difficulty, and though I do win plenty of times I know for a fact that facing a human opponent would be a real lesson, and I'm such a coward! :D

I have to keep re-learning the basics, I haven't won any matches yes and I'm only playing on 3 star difficulty.

I'm not sure when I'm supposed to use control dribble or point/pull dribble.

Maybe I could post my friendcode and have a couple of friendly games?

I'm not sure when I'm supposed to use control dribble or point/pull dribble.

Whenever you want! The control dribble is supposed to be for closer control, and I find it useful when your attackers are in the area. But really you can get pretty nimble with the pull control enough for close control in the same way. In 2011 I tend to find control dribble useful on the wings now with the Z sprint, so you can position other players as you dash down the side ready for a pin point cross. Your best bet is just to play the game a bit and see what works best for you. It's a very free flowing system without much in the way of "rules" outside of the regular sports ones. :)

Does anyone have any more impressions about this game? It looks like I'll be getting it very soon but I'd kinda like to hear some more positive impressions about it :heh:

EDIT I got hold of PES 2011 yesterday evening and have been really enjoying it so far :hehe:

There are definitely a few subtle improvements since PES 2009 (I'm not sure what PES 2010 was like :heh:) but I've been trying to get rid of a lot of bad habits I picked up during the last few years so that I can get back to basics and improve my game!

I've played a few games online (both with the Classic Controller and Playmaker styles..) and although I didn't start particularly impressively, my record now stands at 4W 4L 2D :smile:

The two draws from that record, which were the last two games I played. were against the same player and they were fantastic games :yay: I knew he would be difficult as he had already played over 50 games and had only suffered 10 defeat :eek: I had the first game in my grasp as I made it 3-2 as stoppage time approached.. but I didn't defend well from the kick off and he equalised :hmm: That didn't stop me from breaking to the edge of his area to win a free kick in the dying seconds, but I couldn't convert it :indeed:

Anyway, if anyone has it and fancies a game, give me a shout and I'll get my Friend Code posted :grin: I'd prefer to play with Playmaker controls, but I'll play whatever suits. I've found much less lag in Playmaker games, but that may just be a coincidence..

Sign in to follow this