NEurope
Platty

Kele - The Boxer

No, this thread is not about a boxer named Kele. It's about Kele Okereke of Bloc Party and his solo album called The Boxer :)

Kele-The-Boxer-Front-Cover-44132.jpg

I'm a huge Bloc Party fan and followed them since their early days. I've actually seen them live 12 times in various sized venues which is perhaps a bit much but they are so incredible live and all their albums have new direction and slightly different sound which I love.

You can imagine my heartache when I found out they were going on a hiatus. A big Darth Vader Nooooo!

Since they have been on hiatus the lead singer of Bloc Party, Kele has released this solo album.

At first I really didn't like it. Sounded too Radio One mainstream poppy for my liking and I didn't really give it much love. BUT I have recently been listening to it a lot more and have started to really get into it and appreciate the music and Keles amazing voice and superb lyrics as I do with Bloc Party.

Like in Bloc Party some of the songs are based around himself and his love life as a gay man. If you didn't know he was gay then you probably wouldn't realise that he is singing about men in these songs (in particular "everything you wanted"). This angle I really like. Creates a bit of mystery around the songs and himself.

So, Anyone else got it? Anyone heard it? Thoughts? I'm actually falling in love with the album now and at the moment it is constantly on!

Here are the first two singles off the album:

Tenderoni

Everything You Watned

Edited by Platty

I have listened. Numerous times. Its yet to "click" though whereby I remember any of it, but I enjoy it when I do. Just need to keep remembering to listen.

I may pick this up when it drops in price (like I do with most things :indeed:)

I have always struggled to find music that I actually enjoy but Bloc Party was always an exception. I have Silent Alarm, A Weekend in the City and Intimacy and really liked how they progressed between each album. They have a unique sound which, I guess, isn't for everyone.. but I was thankful to have music that I could appreciate :hehe: They have some great B-Sides too :smile: I'm not convinced I'll enjoy The Boxer in the same way, unfortunately.. but I'm sure I'll give it a go!

Having said that, I haven't really listened to Bloc Party much recently as I have a tendency to get a bit sick of songs when I hear them too regularly. I was looking forward to hearing more from them, but discovering that they were going on hiatus was disappointing :hmm:

With Bloc Party out of the picture for the time being, my attention has somewhat shifted towards Fightstar having picked up Grand Unification, One Day Son This Will All Be Yours and Be Human (Deluxe Edition), all of which have been great :yay:

I can't deal with Kele's voice. It's just horrible. I like Silent Alarm, but ever since then it's just got on my nerves.

I can't deal with Kele's voice. It's just horrible. I like Silent Alarm, but ever since then it's just got on my nerves.

I'm pretty much the same. I really liked that album but my enthusiasm for them and him as a singer completely fizzled out after that.

Bah! losers :p His voice is immense.

/ nando / you're a man after my own heart. :love:

I had a good laugh at his Glasto performance.

GLASTONBURY, HE STILL CAN'T HEAR YOU!

He'll never recapture the Bloc Party magic.