NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
EEVILMURRAY

Msconfig may have buggered my keyboard

After cleaning up my step dad's laptop using msconfig and removing some programs I thought I'd do the same with my PC. I go into msconfig and stop [which I thought] were unneeded things [mainly Lexmark stuff] but when I go to restart my computer it says I can't change some of the things and I should try it in the administrator account, which my account is.

I restart the computer and now I can't work my keyboard to log back in. Mouse works fine and they both use the same wireless Microsoft "hub" thingy. Batteries have been recently replaced so power isn't a problem. I've tried restarting it numerous times and shutting it down and just leaving it to relax for a bit, but no change.

Have you tried plugging in another USB keyboard to see whether it works or not?

I don't have another keyboard. It connects via the purple keyboard connector thingy. The only response I can see happening is the F Lock light changes on the hub, so it must be responding somehow. But when I try to press F12 on startup it doesn't bring up the configuration.

I don't have another keyboard. It connects via the purple keyboard connector thingy. The only response I can see happening is the F Lock light changes on the hub, so it must be responding somehow. But when I try to press F12 on startup it doesn't bring up the configuration.
When you first turn on your computer, try accessing the BIOs by pressing one of the Function keys (It's usually F1 or F4, you'll have to double check on the BIOs screen or on their website) and tell me whether that works or not.

I love the denial of blame in the thread title.

Are you just stuck, unable to log in? With Vista and above, you can log in using an on screen keyboard, and then use that to navigate to msconfig as well and re-enable whatever you may have broken.

I love the denial of blame in the thread title.

I said "may" which offers an small element of delegation ¬_¬

Are you just stuck, unable to log in?

That's right.

With Vista and above, you can log in using an on screen keyboard, and then use that to navigate to msconfig as well and re-enable whatever you may have broken.

Sadly I only have XP. I did have a look to see if I could get a virtual keyboard to do just that, but I couldn't find a way to activate it.

I think BIOS is F9 or Del, I've tried both and I get nothing.
In that case, it's got nothing to do with the Operating System itself. It's either a problem with the PS/2 socket or the keyboard itself. You mentioned the keyboard is wireless, try replacing the batteries. If that doesn't work, try using another keyboard, if it's a PS/2 one (purple plug) and it doesn't work, it means that the socket is broken. If that's the case, the most logical thing to do is to get a USB keyboard, or get a new motherboard (although that's the most expensive option, and tbh is a bit pointless in this case).

The batteries are practically new as mentioned, so that shouldn't be a problem. If it is the keyboard then it's one mighty coincidence it decided to mess up the moment after I stop my PC from running some things on startup.

The batteries are practically new as mentioned, so that shouldn't be a problem. If it is the keyboard then it's one mighty coincidence it decided to mess up the moment after I stop my PC from running some things on startup.
Just to double confirm whether what I believe is right or not, try downloading a Linux Live-CD (such as Ubuntu) and running it before Windows boots (don't worry, it won't overwrite anything on the harddrive as long as you select the Live-CD option). If the keyboard doesn't work there, then we can confirm 100% that it's broken.

Either that, or try it out on another PC, see if it has the same problem there.

Borrow a keyboard from someone else, undo what you did, seems to be the only option.

Just to double confirm whether what I believe is right or not, try downloading a Linux Live-CD (such as Ubuntu) and running it before Windows boots (don't worry, it won't overwrite anything on the harddrive as long as you select the Live-CD option). If the keyboard doesn't work there, then we can confirm 100% that it's broken.
Might struggle with that if it comes up "press any key to boot from CD" :heh:

Might struggle with that if it comes up "press any key to boot from CD" :heh:

Oh... bugger xDD

Well, try using the keyboard on another PC, if it gives you the same problems, you'll be needing a new one. Otherwise it's probably a problem with the Motherboard.

I do assume that you have re-synced your wireless keyboard to its hub, by pressing the calibration button? New batteries being added will lose it's sync you see.

And as someone else has said - if you can't get the POST funtions to work prior to windows booting - it completely proves that it's nowt to do with Windows.

Switching things off on MSCONFIG is just the same as starting your PC in Safe Mode. A wireless keyboard will still work fine under that.

Edited by GeeKay

This thread is amusing.

Like Shorty said, just borrow a keyboard.

You can simply change some registries to enable to the virtual keyboard on start-up so it will appear on the login screen.

But you obviously need access to your PC.

But just for the future in case you ever screw it up again.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Cu rrentVersion\Winlogon\System

Add osk.exe (with a comma preceding if there are any other values).

Why do people keep mentioning windows fixes when it's clearly not a windows problem? He said it doesn't work at boot, which is well before windows. You'll end up making him do things he doesn't need to, and maybe break other stuff!

Why do people keep mentioning windows fixes when it's clearly not a windows problem? He said it doesn't work at boot, which is well before windows. You'll end up making him do things he doesn't need to, and maybe break other stuff!

Agreed.

So far Geekay's advice seems to be the correct point of call.

Sign in to follow this