N-Europe

Alanis Morissette

chairdriver

One of my all-time favourite artists.

I just listened to Hands Clean, for the first time in ages. I've always seen it as a throw-away lead single, and it is a pop song through-and-through, but it just clicked how amazing it is. The dual-persona narrative of the lyrics is really clever (the lyrics describe a relationship between an underage girl and an older man). What I love most about the song is the way it starts, as though she's really far away from the recording device.

Just generally a stunner, considering it shouldn't be. But then it should, because it's by her; she's really accomplished lyrically.

You're essentially an employee and I like you having to depend on me.

You're kind of my protege and one day you'll say you learned all you know from me.

I know you depend on me like a young thing would to a guardian.

I know you sexualize me like a young thing would and I think I like it.

That said, it's nothing in comparison to the greats of her second album Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie.

Yes! Alanis Morissette is incredible! I personally rate Jagged Little Pill among my favourite albums ever. My favourite on that album must be 'You Learn' but to be honest I don't think there's one song on the album I don't like and there certainly aren't any I skip whenever listening to the album. Hands Clean is a great song too.

I liked her when she was a lesbian in Nip/Tuck.

About it really.

Plus now whenever I think of her I think of Roman's rant about how Alanis Morissette misused the word 'ironic'. So....yeah. She's okay but nothing special to me. Outside of lesbiandom.