NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
MoogleViper

Freesat HD

My dad wants to watch the world cup in HD, but we can't get freeview HD until 2011. So I'm thinking of freesat HD. But I don't know which box to get (or if it even matters). And that's where N-E comes in.

Here's some I've been looking at.

Bush - £67

Sagem - £90

Goodmans - £100

Grundig - £110

Humax foxsat - £119

Obviously I'd prefer the cheapest, but if there is any reason for me to get a different one then please say.

Also just to check, I can hook this up using our existing sky mini dish?

The Humax is the most reliable and is said to give the best picture quality. Quick research suggests the Grundig software is sluggish. I would recommend the Humax personally because that one is constantly being updated with the latest patches and functions (BBC iPlayer with plans for ITV Player in the future).

And yes you can use it with your current Sky mini dish :) Also if you do end up buying from Richer Sounds, its very much worth taking out the 5 year insurance because if you don't make any claims they refund you the insurance:hehe:

The PVR version is the £200+ version (FoxSat-HDR) while the £120 is just the receiver (Foxsat-HD)

PVR Version

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-FOXSAT-HDR-Freesat-Digital-Recorder/dp/B001L5YU36/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276015304&sr=8-1

Receiver version

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-HD-Freesat-Receiver-Installation/dp/B00264GX40/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276015304&sr=8-4

Edited by Rowan
Automerged Doublepost

We have that Bush one. We chose it because it was cheapest. :p

It's really good, the installation guy wasn't too happy though since apparently they take longer to firmware upgrade than other models. It actually cost us £100 around the time we bought it, but it was worth it.

I've had Freesat since it launched. It's Sky, Virgin and Freeview's retarded younger brother. Channel selection is poor and you miss out on pretty much all interactive content. HD channel selection is also very poor, basically BBC HD (which isn't near as good as it was at launch, they've dropped quality loads).

I guess if the World Cup in HD is that important then it's worth having, but I can't recommend it. I've got a Sky HD box on the way.

Well we do have freeview built into the TV. So we could always use that for non-HD channels.

I don't think they'll be that bothered about a HDR box. It's mainly for the world cup anyway and probably won't be used loads after that.

Humax all the way.

We have the Humax Foxsat PVR, an outstanding piece of kit, highly recommended tech. Humax have made some of the best boxes around, you'll not go wrong with them.

I'd aways recommend a PVR, the freedom they offer really changes how you watch television- just set things to record and watch when you want, no more running your life to TV schedules. If your buying a Freesat HD box, why not spend a little extra and get a PVR- honestly, if you've got that functionality, you'll use it (its so much more than a replacement for a VCR).

For Freeview HD, my Uni address (I was curious) is 2012, but my home address, where I might actually get it, is just "not available".

I'd aways recommend a PVR, the freedom they offer really changes how you watch television- just set things to record and watch when you want, no more running your life to TV schedules. If your buying a Freesat HD box, why not spend a little extra and get a PVR- honestly, if you've got that functionality, you'll use it (its so much more than a replacement for a VCR).

I won't be using it (I live in Aber) and I don't think it's something my parents will use particularly often. So I don't think it's realy worth the £200-250 for the PVR.

I've had Freesat since it launched. It's Sky, Virgin and Freeview's retarded younger brother.

It's Sky and Virgin's very clever younger brother.

It's free.

Sorry for the bump; big news. The official Freesat Twitter feed (@Freesat_tv) confirms Channel 4HD will launch on Freesat in April.

About time too; Channel 4 HD has been notably absent from the Freesat line up for some time. Channel 4HD will originally launched with financial backing from BSkyB, and since then rumours of various exclusivity deals have been; firstly outright exclusivity to Sky and more recently 'satellite exclusivity'.

Whatever prevented Channel 4 from launching its HD variant has now been resolved. Excellent news.

Sign in to follow this