N-Europe

Need a camera

Pyxis

I want something that is reasonably compact and have a budget of £400-£500, what are the best options out there in this price range? Is there anything that can do 1080p video?

Also, are there any good tripods that are nice and portable out there?

My brother picked up a Sony DSLR after a lot of debating last year. Can't remember the model, but I think it was the A300? No idea what it can/can't do, but he seems chuffed with it (this post is probably no help at all, is it? :p).

haha, no, but it's nice to get a reply.

A DSLR would be great for image quality, but I wouldn't mind something smaller this time. I used to have a Fujifilm camera that had an 18x zoom and that was probably comparable in size to an SLR. It was too heavy and was too bulky to carry around in my hand on a long day out.

Compacts just aren't as good as SLR cameras, but some do seem to come close. I guess that the LX3 has what I am after.. It's not the best out there, but it seems like a pretty solid camera.

I've been looking at the GF1 but will defenitely have to wait a while before i get one. Is your budget fixed at £500 max because although the GF1 & pancake lens is about £650 - £750 they do a GF1 with 14 - 45 mm lens kit for around £550 if you shop around. & you could always get the pancake lens at a later date.

Also the GF1 has no image stabilisation & relies on image stabilised lenses The smaller more compact 20mm pancake lens, though making the camera more compact & from what i've heard is a cracking lens, does not have image stabilisation, but the 14 - 45 mm lens & the other range of lenses have image stabilisation. Don't know if stabilisation is important for you or what you will use it for but it's worth considering as it made me a little wary but i still want one.

If not the LX3 appears a very good camera from what i've heard especially in low light.

UK Digital do the GF1 with 14 - 45mm lens for £549 plus £50 cashback making it £499 & GF1 with the 20mm pancake lens for £695 plus £50 cashback making it £645 eventually when you get the cheque from Panasonic. Sorry no link.

Edited by Gio001

I've been looking at the GF1 but will defenitely have to wait a while before i get one. Is your budget fixed at £500 max because although the GF1 & pancake lens is about £650 - £750 they do a GF1 with 14 - 45 mm lens kit for around £550 if you shop around. & you could always get the pancake lens at a later date.

Also the GF1 has no image stabilisation & relies on image stabilised lenses The smaller more compact 20mm pancake lens, though making the camera more compact & from what i've heard is a cracking lens, does not have image stabilisation, but the 14 - 45 mm lens & the other range of lenses have image stabilisation. Don't know if stabilisation is important for you or what you will use it for but it's worth considering as it made me a little wary but i still want one.

If not the LX3 appears a very good camera from what i've heard especially in low light.

UK Digital do the GF1 with 14 - 45mm lens for £549 plus £50 cashback making it £499 & GF1 with the 20mm pancake lens for £695 plus £50 cashback making it £645 eventually when you get the cheque from Panasonic. Sorry no link.

Thanks Gio, that's really valuable information. The 14-45mm lens is as big as the camera!

I am a novice when it comes to photography, but I will definitely read into the subject once I've made my choice. It sounds like the software these cameras use to process RAW images is quite decent anyway. I am getting married and settling down over the next couple of years and I'll be going to a few memorable places too, so I would like a high quality camera to help document the years ahead. I get scolded if I take a bad photo.

Consider a gorillapod for your portable tripod?

http://joby.com/gorillapod

Thanks Shorty, I will probably get one of these.

• 2 months later...

I went with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 in the end. I got it off ebay for £341 including postage (1 month old and in perfect condition) and it's an amazing camera!

There's a huge amount to learn before I can start taking amazing pics, although the pics I am currently taking still manage to show off how great this camera really is. The lens is great, I really like how you can manually focus and zoom just by twisting it.

panasonic-lumix-dmc-g1-1.jpg