N-Europe

(Yet Another) Wireless Router Thread

Cube

My Grandma has just gotten herself a new laptop but has encountered a problem (as I predicted) - the wireless signal is too low to connect where she usually sits (however, it's just about enough to maintain an existing connection).

We live in a bungalow so there's around 20m and a couple of solid walls between the router (and, due to the phone wiring it seems like it's the only place it can go without fully re-doing the phone wires that took ages to do in the first place).

I've looked at homeplugs, but due to the layout of our circuits (there are about six or seven different rings instead of the usual one or two) I'm really, really sceptical about them (edit: They also apparently don't like surge-protected extensions).

Then there are wireless repeaters. I've heared very mixed stories about these and how they can take hours to set up when connecting it do a different wireless router.

I currently have Sky's Netgear DG934G (internal antenna...it really is awful compared to the white one they used to give out) and I know how to hack the connection username/password from it so I could use another router. I just don't know which one - networks are probably the worst/most confusing aspect of computers for me.

Does anyone have any ideas? The total cost really needs to be below £50

Edit: After looking at the Ebuyer reviews (which seem to be written by people who actually understand something) the Belkin G Wireless Range Extender may actually work pretty well.

Edited by Cube

Wireless N might be over budget though if you want a decent one. Can't you try homeplug and send it back if it doesn't work? The circuits will probably only be separate if there are newer and older parts of the building.

I recently bought this for my Dad, but won't be trying it out for about a week

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/5180788/One-For-All-SV9370-WiFi-Antenna-WiFi-Extender/Product.html?ptsl=1&ob=Price&fb=0