NEurope
arab_freak

Google Chrome OS revealed

But surely Google's specific hardware requirements are going to be a lot more broad than Apple.

Like they do with Android...?

But surely Google's specific hardware requirements are going to be a lot more broad than Apple.

They're working with companies like HP, Acer, Intel, Asus and a few others. Acer note/netbooks seem to be the most common (even through they explode after a year).

Yeah so I don't think we'll have a stupid Apple situation where everything costs big bucks and only comes from one source.

We'll have those few manufacturers trying to compete with each other, driving down costs, keeping competition up, etc.

I'm really looking forward to this.

We'll have those few manufacturers trying to compete with each other, driving down costs, keeping competition up, etc.

Not just those few - it's open source so any company can make drivers for it. The ones I mentioned are just a few that Google are working directly with.

Ohhhh I see.

Why were people moaning that it'd only run on specific hardware?

I will definitely be trying this out on my girlfriend's notebook then, and might pick one of my own up later on.

Ohhhh I see.

Why were people moaning that it'd only run on specific hardware?

I will definitely be trying this out on my girlfriend's notebook then, and might pick one of my own up later on.

Because apparently it wont run on your girlfriend's notebook. Not without a few tricks.

Or rather it will run on your girlfriend's notebook if you create the drivers for it. But to be fair you could also run it in a VM.

Ohhhh I see.

So, it will only be able to run on hardware by manufacturers they've partnered with; unless I do a bit of messing around (and probably breaking it).

Hum...

Yeah I see how that's kind of lame... but the wide range of vendors they'll work with still means it's not too bad I guess.

Ohhhh I see.

So, it will only be able to run on hardware by manufacturers they've partnered with; unless I do a bit of messing around (and probably breaking it).

Not quite. Manufacturers they haven't partnered with can still create drivers. They'll likely slap a Chrome sticker on everything that works, although it all depends with how the manufacturers want to support it.

At the moment the beta only has a small amount of drivers. It's likely that most current computers will have something incompatible. Still, there's plenty of scope for competition between different manufacturers.

Okay, so, for the third time I will say: Ohhhh I see.

This sounds pretty brilliant then in terms of compatibility; especially the fact that it's open source anyway, so you wouldn't have to wait for the manufacturers themselves.

I don't know much about this OS apart from what I've just seen in that video and it looks really bad.. I can see it being ok for cheap netbooks, but not on a proper computer and it never will be if it sticks to that layout.

Windows 7's taskbar wipes the floor with that tabbed browsing (it's really difficult to navigate in a browser if it has too many tabs open) and those little windows like the chat window get in the way of the web browser so that you can't actually see the web content properly.

but to just run the chrome browser you don't need very much.

Wrong. Flash. Flash will consume thousands of unborn babies if left unchecked. Flash is singlehandedly the reason why old machines are not so great online, and netbooks chug

Not entirely. Flash v. 10 has considerably cut down on the cpu load, and thus has meant that flash is now available for a wider range of devices, and is at the forefront of the open screen project initiative. By adding GPU acceleration it allows some of the strain to be taken away from the processor. With small devices implementing chips such as ION and tegra as their graphics solution a low power machine wouldn't be an issue. But additionally in lieu of flash most of google's services make use of technologies such as ajax /javascript and json. But I agree its nice to watch the odd video without it running like chitty chitty bang bang.

Secondly, flash isn't native to the chrome browser either.

Edited by Ten10
school boy error: typo