N-Europe

Nintendo To Be At Kyoto CMEX

Dante

AnderiaSang -

The Tokyo Game Show is September's big gaming event here in Japan. But, the largest game publisher around, Nintendo, presumably won't be taking part.

A TGS snub is usual fare for the Kyoto giant. But this year, Nintendo will be taking part in a big September event, separate from the Tokyo-based show.

Titled Kyoto Cross Media Experience 2009 (Kyoto CMEX 2009), the event will be held in Kyoto from September 26 through October 4. This event is a part of the larger Japan International Contents Festival (CoFesta), a series of events that also includes TGS.

Nintendo is the only one hosting an actual videogame event at the convention on 3rd and 4th October.

As my brother once said:

1 - Wait for announcements

2 - Get excited

3 - Lose sleep while waiting for the big event

4 - Watch it live

5 - Get disappointed

Rinse and repeat

I keep thinking we'll hear about Retro's new title here. But we wont, and I've got to stop thinking that, otherwise I'll just be let down as always. That being said, even if we get a little more information on Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Metroid: Other M I'll be pleased.

I keep forgetting about Retro's new project. Surely its far enough in development that they can show us something. Interestingly, their website has been taken down: http://www.retrostudios.com/

Like an idiot, I'm only beginning to appreciate Retro Studios now it's too late. Metroid Prime really was a brilliant, intense, succinct game. I think Retro Studios should permanently handle the "adult Link" games, whereas EAD2 should do the Wind Waker series (on consoles, not handhelds).

I'm pretty sure I read about a video tour of Retro Studios recently (I didn't watch it, but it must have been about Metroid Prime Trilogy), where they still had the Hylian Shield and Master Sword on the wall.

I'm pretty sure I read about a video tour of Retro Studios recently (I didn't watch it, but it must have been about Metroid Prime Trilogy), where they still had the Hylian Shield and Master Sword on the wall.

Yeah, being the conspiracy Nazi I am, I must point out that IGN once said that "Retro aren't working on Zelda any more. Whether they were working on it to start with is still a mystery."

You can find this in one of their Nintendo Podcasts.

Hmm, the website is up for me. Strange.

I have this weird feeling that Retro could have done something with the next Zelda feeling. There were rumours going around for ages about that. Though, if they did something, I suspect it would just have been the engine.

It seems to be up again now. Before it had one of those advertisement filled placeholder pages on it.

Nintendo is doing a big September event wonder what that means and can someone translate this http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/k-cmex2009/index.html

It doesn't say September on that page but it does say "09/03/10" which means 2009 October 3rd. All the information is at the top of the thread page.

Nintendo Details Kyoto Event Lineup

Nintendo will appear at the event in the creatively titled "Nintendo Game Event." This will be held on October 3 and October 4.

The event will feature three corners.

A Wii demo corner will offer playable Mario & Sonic At Vancouver Olympics, Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports Resort, and Pokemon Scramble. All but Mario & Sonic will be out by the time the event starts.

A DS download corner will offer a downloadable build of the DS version of Mario & Sonic at Vancouver Olympics. The demo will feature such events as bobsledding and giant slalom.

Of perhaps greatest interest is the DS data download corner, which will offer some sweet Pokemon downloads. Those who bring their copy of Pokemon Diamond & Pearl or Heart Gold & Soul Silver will be able to take delivery of an event-exclusive Pikachu with a "Totte Oki" skill, which the character cannot normally learn. The internet translates this skill to "Last Resort" (but I wouldn't know because I don't know nothing about no Pokemon). Heart Gold & Soul Silver owners will also be able to download a special "Kiiro no Mori" (Yellow Forest) course map for their Poke Walker. The Kiiro no Mori is, it seems, home to a large number of Pikachus.

Also on offer in the DS data download corner will be a special event-exlusive DSi photo frame. This frame can be used for framing pics you take with the DSi camera.

The event will also have special stages, details about which will be shared in a future update.

And that's it! This doesn't seem like a major event, so it's presumably of interest only to the local crowd.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing much happened.

So what ever happened to that Nintendo Kyoto event?

Remember that event Nintendo was supposed to hold down in Kyoto? You know, the one that people idiotically speculated would serve as an announcement space for a Wii price drop despite the fact that it's totally not that kind of event?

It was held today, and I... did not go. But Famitsu.com did! Click here for the site's full report.

The oddly named "Nintendo Game Event" is part of Kyoto Cross Media Experience, a contents event highlighting games, anime, manga, and movies. The main Kyoto Cross Media Experience event kicked off on September 26 and will finish tomorrow (10/4). Nintendo's part of the event opened today and will finish tomorrow as well.

As promised, Nintendo showed mostly in-release titles at the event. The lineup consisted of Mario & Sonic at Vancouver Olympics, Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports Resort, and Pokemon Scramble. These managed to draw waits of between 60 and 120 minutes, according to the Famitsu.com report.

Nintendo also offered two downloadable demos for the DS version of Mario & Sonic at Vancouver Olympics and downloadable walking courses for Pokemon Heart Gold & Soul Silver's Pokewalker. DSi owners could download exclusive photo frames.

Outside of its current product, Nintendo also set up a corner called "Video Game History." This told the history of Nintendo's hardware from the time of the Famicom.

Some new information Nintendo's monthly retailer briefing appears to be scheduled for next Thursday.

Which about releases dates of games because in last month's retailer briefing, Nintendo announced dates for Sin and Punishment 2 (Wii), Valhalla Nights (Wii), Mario & Sonic 2 (Wii/DS) and Rune Factory 3 (DS).

So it looks like any new media of games or unannounced games conference wouldn't be held this year.

Edited by Dante

Well he's right canand. Nintendo won't be holding any more press briefings this year. GDC, well I think it's Microsoft's turn to keynote that. Either them or Sony so I wouldn't expect anything new until E3 next year.

I cant wait till E3 Next year I want i want to see a video of Zelda Wii and I want to know what the new Pokemon Wii game is.

Nintendo started the surprises conference because it wasn't expect but now people are now expecting surprises conference in the first two weeks of said September or October.

I guess Nintendo don't want to surprises conference anymore plus the complains about their E3 shows.