NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

History and Culture

Out of curiosity, how do Portugal "see" Britain? I mean, when the subject of Britain ever comes up in conversation, is it in a negative light or positive one?

Personally I couldn't be more neutral about it. I don't hear much negative talk about you at all but we know that you love to spend holydays in Algarve and get nasty sunburns. :P

This is what gave you the bifes (steak) nickname around here. But just for fun, nothing derogatory I think.

Haha, the pale-ness and trips to Algarve thing made me laugh, but then I guess there are many people here (in Britain) who do go on holidays for the sunshine. It does annoy me quite a lot when people do go over to different countries and stay in these British Resorts, rather than going out there and enjoying the country.

Again, maybe the language barrier is once again a problem here. How many people who actually go to the Algarve know a word of Portuguese?

Haha, the pale-ness and trips to Algarve thing made me laugh, but then I guess there are many people here (in Britain) who do go on holidays for the sunshine. It does annoy me quite a lot when people do go over to different countries and stay in these British Resorts, rather than going out there and enjoying the country.

Again, maybe the language barrier is once again a problem here. How many people who actually go to the Algarve know a word of Portuguese?

Besides "Thank you" and "Hello" I don't think 90% know the language, but they're tourist after all, they come here to have a good vacation without being disturbed and the British are pretty "adventurous" when it comes to travelling and dealing with the locals.

The "problem" is when the British make a permanent residence and start small enclaves inside a foreign country, much like they did when colonizing the world.

Personally I couldn't be more neutral about it. I don't hear much negative talk about you at all but we know that you love to spend holydays in Algarve and get nasty sunburns. :P

This is what gave you the bifes (steak) nickname around here. But just for fun, nothing derogatory I think.

Ah yes, the beefs. I love that nickname :grin:

Like Shino said, they only know the basic terms, which isn't bad, most of the time.

It was only bad when I was younger (12-13 years old), and my family decided to pay a visit to one of those British resorts... and I was the only person fluent in both languages in the area. The translators they had struggled with simple terms (Seven(7) = Seis(6), according to them)