N-Europe

Live Mafia - All you need to know!

Dyson

Hey gang. So I understand that a lot of you aren't 100% sure how the Live Mafia's work at all, or have missed out in the past. I'm making this thread to try and help everyone understand how the game works and things you need to know.

It's simple, really. Live Mafia is very quick fire, fast paced action once the ball gets rolling, and the atmosphere is very tense and brings back a lot of the paranoia that the original forum mafia games did.

Players! (Using the web browser chat)

Step 1 : Join the N-Europe chat room.

To join the N-Europe chat room, all you have to do is click here and you're in. Easy, right? Choose a nickname and you're good to go. Hang around here, chat to everyone, and wait until a Mafia game gets going. At the moment they're quite rare, but we're looking to get a regular one done every Sunday.

Step 2: Look out for a game getting going.

Once a game has been announced to start, you're going to want to join a new chat room so that you can talk about the Mafia game without interrupting the flow of chat in the main channel. The channel we generally use is called #nemafia - to join this channel, simply input

/join #nemafia

and you'll be in the channel where the game is gonna be played. To switch between the channels, simply choose the channel of your choice at the top of the chat.

Step 3: Waiting for the game to get going

The game takes a little while to set up, so give the game master a little time to sort out roles and such. After it's all been given the get go, you should eventually receive a private message on the chat containing your role. The game master should send you this before the game starts. If the game has started and you havn't received your role, send the game master a Private Message. To do this, click on their name in the list on the right and select Query. This will open up a private chat with the person you've selected. Nobody else will be able to see what you write in the query.

Step 3a: What to do if your role is that of a mafia player

If you receive a mafia role or one in which you can communicate with another player, you will be given another chat room in which you can communicate with your buddies. The game master will tell you the name of the chat room. To join it, simply use the following command to join:

/join #roomname password

The game master should have given you the room name and the password to the room - just enter it as above and you'll be let in.

Step 4: The game gets underway - Day Phases

As the game gets underway, the day phases take place in the #nemafia channel. The room acts as a normal mafia thread would, but discussion is much more fast paced here so make sure you keep your eyes on it at all times. When a majority is reached, the game master will mute the channel and talking will cease. The game master will do a brief writeup outlining what's happened during the day phase, the the night phase will begin.

Step 5: The game continues - Night Phases

The night phases are simple - instead of PMing your target to the gamemaster on the forum, you send them a private message ("Query") in the chat client. The #nemafia chat room is muted at this time and people cannot continue to talk until the end of the night phase. The game master will do a brief writeup of the nights events, and the channel will be unmuted. Chat then continues as a day phase, and this continues until the end of the game.

Step 6: Game over!

In the mafia games, there are two instances in which the game may end for you - the end of the game for all players, or player death. If you die whilst the game is still being played you are more than welcome to stay and spectate the rest of the game, but you must not talk in the room until the game is over.

Once the game master has announced the game is over everyone may freely chat about the game in the #nemafia room. Hopefully you enjoyed playing and will stick around for a bit of banter afterwards to see what everyone else thought!

And you're done! Consider sticking around in #n-europe for some good people, general banter and such.

As for you, game masters, if you'd like to run a live Mafia game then first of all, good luck. It's pretty tough keeping up with everything. I've run two of them now, and have picked up a few tips that I thought I'd pass on to you.

Game Masters!

Step 1: Get mIRC and nbs-irc (or another client of your choice)

It would be possible to manage a Live Mafia game through the web client but it would also be damn hard work. You'd be much, much better off getting and installing the mIRC client from here, and installing the add-on nbs-irc for it from here. Then, select the Quakenet server, and connect.

Step 2: Pre-game set-up

Once you've declared you want to play a mafia game and have enough interest, make sure you join the room #nemafia first so that you have Operator rights. This means that you'll be able to moderate the channel which you'll need to be able to do to run the game smoothly. To do this, just type

/join #nemafia

and you'll pop in to the room

You'll also want to make a chat room for the mafia to talk in, so type

/join #mafiosos

or any other chat room name you can think of. Ensure that as soon as you do, you do the following. Double click the main chat window and a window will pop up. From here, tick the box that says Secret (+s), then tick the key box and enter a word in the box to act as a password (something simple like 'mario' will suffice) and hit OK. This means that people will not be able to join the channel unless they know the password and people will also be unable to see the channel in your channel list. Ensure you send the mafia members the channel name and the password to the channel.

Step 3: Distributing roles

Once you've decided on roles and who's getting said roles (I highly recommend keeping a notepad/wordpad document with who is assigned to each role) you need to distribute them privately. To do this, double click on a name in the player list on the right and you'll be in a private chat with them, in which you can tell them everything they need to know.

Step 4: Running the game

Now that the game is underway, you'll want to announce the game has started. To do this and stamp some authority on the game you might want to chat in bold text. To do this just press Ctrl+B before your sentance and it'll be sent in bold. You will also want to mute the chat room to announce the game has started and to stop people interrupting you. To do this, double click the main window and tick the box that says "Moderated (+m)". Make sure that when you are ready to start the game you untick this box and everyone can chat once more.

Keep an eye on the fast flowing chat for peoples votes and make sure you keep it updated. Notepad can come in handy for this. Once majority has been reached (and as soon as possible after the final vote is cast) mute the chat room again.

Step 5: Night phases

Since you distributed roles to everyone you should have private chats open with everyone. Collect everyones night targets before giving out investigation results or roleblocks etc, in case other night powers (roleblocks, target switching etc) change the way a power works. Notepad is extremely useful again here, but ensure that everyone who is entitled to a reply to their night power gets one!

Once you've sent out night target replies you'll want to announce what happened at night in the main chat room, and then unmute the chat and let it continue once again. Rinse and repeat until the end of the game!

Step 6: Game over man, game over!

Once the game is over, you may want to share your thoughts. Unmute the chat room one more time and feel free to say what you want. You're done! Hard work wasn't it? Hope you enjoyed yourself as much as the players.

Of course I can't tell you how to run your game. Whether you have a myriad of roles, players or rules or a select few, ensure you can keep on top of it primarily and don't get too confused.

And that's it folks! I'll close by saying that so far the two mafia games I've run on IRC have both been successful, and thanks to everyone for turning up to them and bearing with me whilst I get used to how to run them. You've all helped me get better at running them and I appreciate it!

We're currently considering running a weekly live Mafia game on IRC on Sundays at 9pm (directly after Top Gear :heh:), so pop along at that time for your best chance at getting a go. Games can last anywhere between 20 minutes to 2 hours long depending on the amount of players, the complexity of the roles and the general speed of the game. Everyone is welcome; hope to see you there soon!

• 1 year later...