N-Europe

Thinking about going Wireless

arnold

Just wondering what peoples views on wireless are, and If I do, jsut need some advice on what to get, should the day arise.

Main thing I need to know is what do I need to get? Just a Wireless Router? Something like This Will need a Wireless receiver for my PC, or does it come in the box,or do I need a Wireless card in my box, looking at my setup it doesn't look like i've got one..

Asw ell, I know a lot of people like to steal your net, so Passwording Wireless is a good idea, but how do you go about it, is it done while you install the software or do you need to go in to some router setting to do it?

and one more thing, do speeds differ from wired? Is it slower, or just the same, the Pc will be very close by the router if I get one, is there any disadvantages to going wireless?

Think thats pretty much it, thanks al ot for reading ^^

Unless you have a laptop, or another wireless device (like an iPod Touch or a DS?), or people that often come over to your house and want to use your internet with their wireless devices, then there's not much point going wireless. Especially if, as you say, your desktop is so close to the router. Wired tends to be more reliable and have slightly lower pings, the actual speed remains the same generally.

You'd need to buy a wireless router and then a dongle or a card for your desktop.

Personally I would go for wireless unless you really only have one or two online devices which both sit close to the modem and connect through nicely tucked away wires.

I love wireless, my PC, laptop, iPod, Wii and DS all connect flawlessly from my bedroom, through the kitchen to the router in the living room. All you need is a wireless adapter in the system (Wii, DS and all new computers and laptops have one built in, xbox 360 does not) and a router at your asdl/cable line. With wireless N technology very little is lost and pings dont drop for gaming, but it is more expensive. if you play Wii or DS check compatibility lists before you get a router.

Wireless security doesn't requrie any extra software just a setting in the router, although it's not impervious to hacking. Setting up your router is easy if you have your ISPs details to hand and read the manual.

Thanks guys, I was thinknig about it for the Ipod Touch, recently got one when i was in Sydney, but I do have the DS too as well as the 360 which could come in handy...not sure about the price of the 360 wireless device though..i'm thinking expensive though, I know it was when it came out.

Other than that, I'd only use it for the Ipod Touch...which seems a bit of a waste of cash thinking about it...is there any cheaper alternative for using the Touch online?

Thanks guys, I was thinknig about it for the Ipod Touch, recently got one when i was in Sydney, but I do have the DS too as well as the 360 which could come in handy...not sure about the price of the 360 wireless device though..i'm thinking expensive though, I know it was when it came out.

Other than that, I'd only use it for the Ipod Touch...which seems a bit of a waste of cash thinking about it...is there any cheaper alternative for using the Touch online?

The 360 wireless adapter is pretty overpriced, this is about the best price I've ever seen it (which isn't saying much). I don't think you can get the iPod touch online by any means other than wirelessly, nor would you want to (would defeat the point a bit) but I might be wrong. The 360 performs better over an ethernet cable, so maybe for your needs (unless you really want to play some DS games online or browse the net from Safari on your iPod) I would say stick with wired as it may not be worth the cost.