N-Europe

Formatting to FAT32

flameboy

Ok so I have an old external hard drive that I want to format to FAT32 so I can use it to back up my PS3...how the hell do I format it to FAT32? I know XP only lets you do so if the drive is below a certain size...I tried a program called swiss knife or something and that crashes everytime I try to do it, any other ideas...

If you have an old Windows 98 with you, then just use the floppy at startup and format a drive that way. Make sure you don't format a drive you use though! Agh! If you don't have a 98 floppy, or don't even have a floppy drive, then do post saying so. (If you do have a floppy and a drive, but no 98, then I'm sure you can download the files online).

Here is a link explaining how it can be done if you don't have a 98 disk!

http://www.crapcontrol.com/content.php?article.14

And without having to download extra software.

Try to format it using the command console. I actually never did that but I read you can set a lot more options that way.

Just press Windows+R (or Start -> Run), type in "cmd" then type "help format" in the command window and you should get all the information on how to do it.

I hope this helps :/

Right really need help I'm in the command prompt and typed this;

/FS:filesystem Specifies the type of the file system (FAT, FAT32, or NTFS).

Your command line would be: format e: /FS:FAT32

which is what it tells me type..yet when I do it it says;

The type of the file system is NTFS

The new file system is FAT32

Enter volume label for drive E:

what the hell do I type?! tried googling and can't figure it out please someone help me!

EDIT;

sorted it out found out its just the name of the drive...its now formatting using cmd...will take hours likely so just leaving it running.

Edited by flameboy

Why not download a disk management program and then do the job. Easy.

Any suggestions? I don't wanna download a load of guff that doesn't work...

I left it formatting when it was up to 55% when I came back to it was greeted with the message that the drive was too big for FAT32....sigh...

There's a USB version if you have a spare USB device?

errr....nope...will it run off an SD card?

Couldn't get that program to work...sigh this is frustration...

Finally done it...using a method found here;

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=1325968&view=by_date_ascending&page=2

not the method by the thread starter but an alternative suggested by someone.