N-Europe

The Right To Live

Fierce_LiNk

'Doctors treating him had said the boy's life was intolerable and his disability was such that his life had little purpose.'

Bear in mind that that isn't a direct quote and could have been paraphrased by the BBC.

I know it isn't an easy decision, but bear in mind that doctors have been through years of training and are the most qualified to make an educated decision on whether or not the boy would have a "decent" life or not. I would hate to be in the doctors situation when they had to make that decision and I can't imagine it was a decision made without a lot of thought.

People at the court are also human and more than likely parents themselves. I don't believe it was an easy decision for them either.

Bottom line: We have seen very little evidence compared to what doctors and the court have, so I agree with the court and doctors. Although I do feel for the parents, I really do.

Just to add a little Kant to all this utilitarianism: How do we decide when a life is worth keeping alive? Isn't a life worth enough in itself? Doesn't every living thing have the right to be alive, no matter how their life will be?

I'm tired right now, so I probably won't be discussing this further tonight. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but I think it's worth having a little counter-argument for the sake of debating.

Just to add a little Kant to all this utilitarianism: How do we decide when a life is worth keeping alive? Isn't a life worth enough in itself? Doesn't every living thing have the right to be alive, no matter how their life will be?

I'm tired right now, so I probably won't be discussing this further tonight. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but I think it's worth having a little counter-argument for the sake of debating.

certainly not when the act of preserving life is causing agony for the patient, as was the case here.