NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
tapedeck

Money grows on Wiis, not trees...Now what?

For me, I'd like to see Nintendo just do...more. Use the money to fund more games, more new IPs, create new studios, just to broaden things.

Nintendo is developing faster and more games. Only time in Nintendo's history that they have done more games would be NES.

New IPs, yeah, they are fine and dandy, but I'm against thought process of new IP = better game. New IPs they are really not worth it if you don't have really good idea. Without idea, new IP is usually emperor's new clothings, a.k.a same shit wrapped in different tinfoil (i.e. Resistance, Killzone).

So far as studios go, Nintendo is outsourcing their games far more than in the past. It is somewhat strange that half of internal studios haven't still released anything for Wii after two years. Wanting Nintendo to have more studios is nice thought, but these studios would require recruiting talented staff, which doesn't grow in the trees. Trying to acquire studios via money is worthless, as talent tends to leave during buyovers.

Edited by Teppo Holmqvist

Nintendo is developing faster and more games. Only time in Nintendo's history that they have done more games would be NES.

New IPs, yeah, they are fine and dandy, but I'm against thought process of new IP = better game. New IPs they are really not worth it if you don't have really good idea. Without idea, new IP is usually emperor's new clothings, a.k.a same shit wrapped in different tinfoil (i.e. Resistance, Killzone).

So far as studios go, Nintendo is outsourcing their games far more than in the past. It is somewhat strange that half of internal studios haven't still released anything for Wii after two years.

Yeah, I do agree with you on that. Although, sometimes with new IPs comes a certain freshness. With Mario, a lot of the time you know what you're getting. With something like Pikmin, for example, you weren't quite sure until you played it. I think it's important for Nintendo to just try new things, but I do get what you mean.

While I think that new IP's don't neceserilly have to mean better games, I think that new core IP's will cause a lot of smiles.

Unlike a lot of people here, I don't really see the error in getting an equivelant game to what gamers are experiencing on other formats.

So far as studios go, Nintendo is outsourcing their games far more than in the past. It is somewhat strange that half of internal studios haven't still released anything for Wii after two years. Wanting Nintendo to have more studios is nice thought, but these studios would require recruiting talented staff, which doesn't grow in the trees. Trying to acquire studios via money is worthless, as talent tends to leave during buyovers.

There are lots of tallented people wanting to work in the game industry. Good people with good knowlege, skills and excellent ideas actually do grow on trees. All over the world, gaming universitys are opening, and many are virtually machines, serially producing successful companies! Of course there are also universitys that produce dreamers whom never will be employed. At least here att the University in Skövde, the people whom make it through the gaming studies have to be quite skilled. Most people fail their studies, and the remaining are truly good game devs. There are several companies that entirely consist of students from Skövde, and all the bigger companies, Massive, DICE, Grin have employed several of my friends. A few years ago, DICE employed an entire year of students.

The problem is that many game devs abroad still don't believe that gaming students are competent, and the entire world has come into this closed circle, where you can't get employed atless you've already worked in the game industry.

Nintendo have a huge tap of, yeah, unexperienced, but thereby also cheap tallent that few companies seem to care about.

Edited by darkjak

you may say that, but seriously, sometimes question that about some people saying this.

Does anyone remember when Zelda TP was first shown? remember how every time they delayed the game, more and more curses were aimed at nintendo, and then when it finally came out, a lot of people said it wasn't good, or, it didn't live up to expectations.

Yes indeed. Zelda TP is the one exception, because it was a 30 month wait and crossed to another system. For me, that's the one really annoying thing about it. It was meant to be an 18 month wait and, yes, it was a big disappointment when it was delayed, but I think that was heavily linked to the uneasy feeling that it might not be released on GameCube at all. When released, however great the game was, I couldn't help but be deeply irritated that both versions had been changed because of the Wii. Although clearly they had used the time to make some improvements, I think people had the feeling that the game had been used a tactical pawn.

However, look at Metroid Prime 3. That was approximately a 30 month wait as well (May 2005 - Nov 2007), and yet I didn't see a single complaint about it (either the wait or the finished product).

Mario Galaxy was an 18 month wait. Again, no complaints at all.

To me, 18 months is exactly right, but I don't mind longer if it's for the right reasons and stays on the machine it was designed on. I just think it would be a thrill to see the next Zelda, Pikmin etc now. : peace:

Sign in to follow this