N-Europe

Cycling. Anything I should know?

Choze

Again from experience, I was just riding up and down my road. No cars, no people. No nothing apart from a front brake that decided to spazz out. Thus me going head over heels and ruining my face for life. Was told if I wore a helmet I would have saved my teeth if anything.

Yeah, one of my teeth was underneath my tongue when I got to A&E, the other was hanging by a small thread from my gum. Some more teeth were bent back about 45 degress. Face scarred, stitches, everything. Because of a single brake.

Been scared to ride a bike since.

Ouch. That should be enough to make anyone wear a helmet. I love cycling, dunno why I don't do it more often..

Wear a helmet for gods sake. Someone could hit you at 30MPH in a car (and that really is no speed considering) and you'd be instantly dead without a helmet.

My aunt doesn't wear a helmet. And it's for the silliest damn reason; she thinks it ruins her hair....

P.S - that's pretty awful Pantsu man! =(

I fell off my bike (went over handlebars) and smashed my elbow. It doubled in size and I couldn't move it for a week. X( I lost pretty much all confidence on a bike since then.

Some people are telling me that its illegal cycle on footpaths. My plan was to ride to the parks nearby via inroads using footpaths since they are so quiet.

Then speed up when i am at the parks for excercise.

Was also wondering what cycle brands to look out for? Top cycle manufacturers?

Hopefully there are knowledgable people. Or is this hopeless?

GT are the best I've ever gone with. Their bikes are built to a very good standard and they also offer good value for money compared to other manufacturers, like Specialized.

Don't get a bike with rear suspension as they are a waste of energy to ride and front suspension does the job just fine.

This is my old bike:

gt-avalanche-3-disc-08.jpg

GT Avalanche 3.0

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id35731.html £264.25

It's really good value and has disc brakes at a really low price. The tyres are nice and chunky and give you a nice comfortable ride. This was the best bike I've ever had and it was stolen from me.:(

Thanks for the advice. Really useful stuff! I feel more educated about the world of cycles. :smile:

Going to go to a shop tommorow. Didnt realise riding on the pavement is illegal... Abit overkill? I was hoping to use the quiet inroads to get to the park. I am almost positive cyclers vs pedestrians have a much better mortality rate compared to most forms of transport.

Might even use it to get to the station in the morning now and again. Just hate cars coming behind me. :heh: Will defo get the helmet. I dont want brain damage or death.

I will have a look at GT and Raleigh. The set is also something important as pointed out. Was thinking of the mountain bikes or the hybrids at about £150?