N-Europe

Need For Speed Nitro

Ren of Heavens

It's quite fun, actually!

The graphics are butterysmooth and it does indeed have a Burnout-feel to it. Very arcadey. And the one-handed controls... work? What's next, cats and dogs living together?

Anyway, the only issues I have are:

• Each country has a #1 racer... which occasionaly shows up in a race, but the cutscene is more or less the only time you have any interaction with the dude/gal.
  • The early cars are too hard to drift, which takes a lot of the enjoyment away. Endure for a little while, and soon you'll drive cars who drift a lot better and easier.

It won't set the world on fire, but you can do a lot worse IMO. And don't let the style put you off. It's a perfect fit.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Quite fancy picking this up. The reviews have been mostly pretty good, but the main thing for me is that it looks enormous fun to play. I'm really missing a fun racing game after Mario Kart and Excite Truck. Normally (on the older consoles anyway) I dismiss the NFS games as being all style and no substance, but after reading up on this and watching some videos on YT I think I'll give it a go. I love the graphics style (apart from the character designs - too much of those type of designs on the Wii), and 60 frames a second is a deal sealer.

What's the cheapest I can get it for? I've currently got it at Amazon for £12.99. Anywhere else better? Plus, if you've been playing it a while, what's your thoughts? Ta. :)

OK, OK, I'm bumping old topics. Sorry.

Just wanted to post up and say I did end up getting this, and it's really quite brilliant. A real surprise. Tailoring NFS for the Wii in this way is imho a success. Some have commented about the drift being a bit simplistic, and I suppose this is true to some extent, but it still requires skill to master and gives the game an almost OutRun 2006 feel. Huge screeching swings around corners makes me happy. There's a terrific turn of speed too, especially when boosting with the dual Nitro, and thanks to the general arcade-feel to the thing it makes it just a lot of fun to play. Watching the videos of the game though, doesn't prepare you for how pretty it actually is when running. It's not quite as detailed as other more serious racers, but it still looks sharp and polished. The speed hasn't harmed the appearance. There's no pop up or glitching. I know! In an EA game!

Hats off to the devs for really making "Custom built for the Wii" a lovely surprise for a change, rather than a crushing disappointment (ahem FIFA10 cough). I really hope this style is kept and built on for future titles in the series on the Wii.

I have no friends, and I only play offline. Never bothered with any online component in a game, not on console or my PC. :blush: I just prefer the solo experience. :grin:

But yes, sorry I didn't mention it. There's no online in the game. It's still well worth it though. I reckon if it had a Nintendo badge on the front rather than an EA one, it would have perhaps been received more positively. As it is, it's yet another one of those Wii hidden gems imho.