N-Europe

Questions About Replacing Components

Cube

Well, the parts of the mysterious computer seem to be fine. I'd rather not use the whole computer (even though it works, apart from that it seems to have a different output set to default than the one my monitor cable uses). So I'm thinking of salvaging it's parts.

However, I have a few questions.

What is the computability of RAM? I now have two 1GB RAM chips so I can just use those two, but if there are enough slots, would they work with my current one?

How do I find out the memory size of a video card? All I can find on it is a model number which seems to have quite a few variants, including some 128MB and 256MB cards.

Finally, what's better: A Intel® Core™2 Duo Desktop Processor E4300 (1.8GHz) or a AMD Athalon 3200+ (2GHz). I'm guessing the AMD one, but the "Core 2 Duo" thing always confusing me.

Also, what's the best way of formatting a new HDD before booting up Windows?

Thanks in advance.

Finally, what's better: A Intel® Core™2 Duo Desktop Processor E4300 (1.8GHz) or a AMD Athalon 3200+ (2GHz). I'm guessing the AMD one, but the "Core 2 Duo" thing always confusing me.
The Core 2 Duo, definitely. It is essentially 2 processors, so rather than 1.8GHz think of it as 2x1.8GHz.
How do I find out the memory size of a video card? All I can find on it is a model number which seems to have quite a few variants, including some 128MB and 256MB cards.
Assuming that card is running in a working windows system right now, press Win+R to bring up the Run command box and type 'dxdiag' and click on the display tab, it will tell you more about your graphics card.

I've found out what card it is, and it's a nVidea/MSI 128MB one. I'm not sure what my current one (ATI X1300) is, but I think it's a 256MB one so I'll stick with that (actually, the driver details say it's got an approx 511MB of memory...does that mean it's a 512MB one?).

nVidea/MSI 128MB doesn't tell us much.

It doesn't have the right output for my PC anyway.

As for the processor, they seem to be different sizes.

However, the new RAM chips seem to be working fine.

Thanks for the help guys.