NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Edjamakated

Why Zelda Wii will probably be the best game ever.

How can you put those two together?

Because there aren't many games in this genre and I thought Beyond Good & Evil was a 6/10 - above average, but no more than that.

Because there aren't many games in this genre and I thought Beyond Good & Evil was a 6/10 - above average, but no more than that.

It' a very good game, I honestly think it's overrated withing the gaming community, but more than above average.

beyond good and eveil, even if just average is still fried gold compaired to starfox adventures, one of the most disserpointing things ever done by any human.

beyond good and eveil, even if just average is still fried gold compaired to starfox adventures, one of the most disserpointing things ever done by any human.

Yes, it is better than Starfox Adventures. I completed Beyond Good & Evil, but just couldn't get into SFAdv.

I bought SFA about a year ago. I just could play it anymore after getting to about the 1st dungeon. It seemed like they were trying to copy elements from the N64 Zelda games and did a very bad job of it TBH. It should have never been turned into a SF game. I think it was originally developed as a new Rare IP and then they threw a SF skin on it.

Are you out of your mind?? SFA wasn't an awesome game, but it was solid... great even... The controls were good, the upgrades cool, the worlds were versatile, backtracking was not bad either, and a good story... it was a zelda-like SF game... what's wrong with that??

Are you out of your mind?? SFA wasn't an awesome game, but it was solid... great even... The controls were good, the upgrades cool, the worlds were versatile, backtracking was not bad either, and a good story... it was a zelda-like SF game... what's wrong with that??

no problem that its like zelda, none at all, hell it could be a balitent rip off and i wouldnt care. what ruined it for me was.

1. the worst combat engine ever. tap A they all line up and take a beating, one at a time. oooh, exciting.

2. HORRIBLE voice acting. i dont mind bad voice acting in minor roles, but litteraly every one sounded like they were the village idiot/

3. the spirit tests. had a sinlge one been good, id have been happy. the fear test came close but by forsing you to repeat the run up each time you failed, it stopped being fun and became the most stressfull thing in history.

4. boring flight. it could have been a lylat wars like diversion from the actual game. instead, it was just tedious and badly designed.

5. hardly any side quests. people diss twilight princess for its lack of side quests, but seriously, star fox had anlmost nothing.

6. story was poo. yes, it was. total poo.

7. the shop keepers voice. yes, this should come under voice acting, but YOOOOU PAAAAY THHHHHHISSSS MUUUUUUUCHHH! was the single worst thing ever done by humans. it wasnt even so bad it was funny, it just hurt the ears.

8. lack of any character in any one. seriosuly, it was like every one was the dullest person ever. prince tricky was an irritating steriotype of a child.

9. mamoth ride. vaigly recolect riding a mamorth, and it being coma enducing.

10. the most important part- utterly unmemorable. i have hardly any memory of any point in the game, i remeber the trex, mamoth, shop keeper, a couple of spirit tests and the end. i recall it was a medium length game, but next to nothing has stuck in my mind. games i played years earlier did,

I hate to spoil the fun in your little debate here, but wasn´t this thread about the upcoming Zelda Wii game? I feel this thread is starting to careen away from it´s intended subject. We should stick to the subject of the topic, correct?

While I love the Ocarina time line (a little too much) I think its time Zelda moved on. Its like Nintendo have swapped adrenaline for nostalgia. Like some of you said, moving the storyline into the future and taking a step further from "I'm gonna 'nab the princess, and then transform into a beast" might be what the franchise needs.

Picture this: Hyrule is technologically advancing, but too fast, and is in a political mess (a chance for new weapons and a more complicated storyline). Neighbouring continents each try to take it, but a war breaks out. Zelda asks Ganon to help her, and they make a deal to combine forces. But in return for his armies, Ganon is given a part of the Triforce. In comes Link, a young man working in Hyrule Palace. He overhears Ganon telling his second in command about how he has paid assassins to murder Zelda. He rushes to the Princesses chambers, fends off the attackers to find her badly beaten and in a coma. He gets mistaken for an assassin, and is hunted. Now Link must stop the War, defeat Ganon, save Zelda and clear his name.

In space.

Ignore that last part. In fact, ignore all of it, I had an operation on Friday and I'm sure I'm still pretty woozy from the anaesthetics. But I hope you get where I'm coming from - Zelda needs a chance to break out of old patterns.

While I love the Ocarina time line (a little too much) I think its time Zelda moved on. Its like Nintendo have swapped adrenaline for nostalgia. Like some of you said, moving the storyline into the future and taking a step further from "I'm gonna 'nab the princess, and then transform into a beast" might be what the franchise needs.

Picture this: Hyrule is technologically advancing, but too fast, and is in a political mess (a chance for new weapons and a more complicated storyline). Neighbouring continents each try to take it, but a war breaks out. Zelda asks Ganon to help her, and they make a deal to combine forces. But in return for his armies, Ganon is given a part of the Triforce. In comes Link, a young man working in Hyrule Palace. He overhears Ganon telling his second in command about how he has paid assassins to murder Zelda. He rushes to the Princesses chambers, fends off the attackers to find her badly beaten and in a coma. He gets mistaken for an assassin, and is hunted. Now Link must stop the War, defeat Ganon, save Zelda and clear his name.

In space.

Ignore that last part. In fact, ignore all of it, I had an operation on Friday and I'm sure I'm still pretty woozy from the anaesthetics. But I hope you get where I'm coming from - Zelda needs a chance to break out of old patterns.

if it breaks old patterns then it may lose what makes it zelda. while it would be interesting to see the serise go in a new direction, there are ares that shouldnt be tampered with

plus, the story you proposed sounds pretty similar to link to the past, if you remeber such games.

Its like Nintendo have swapped adrenaline for nostalgia.

Absolutely. Zelda needs to regain its status as THE best game out there. That can only be done by making the game more fluid, more smooth-flowing and more kinetic. It needs to be at the cutting edge of how easy it is to move around and interact with the game world.

Why can't we switch from 1st-person, 3rd-person and over-the-shoulder, for example, whenever we like, even in shops and towns? There's no real reason for it nowadays.

Personally, I think the story should be kept as simple as possible. Something like: "There's a very bad man called Trevor. Go and hit him with your sword."

If the game needs a new "hook", how about flight? I think it would be a genuine improvement to fly anywhere in the overworld whenever you liked. You should be able to take off from any village or location, fly around and land anywhere without any loading times. This isn't just a substitute for teleportation; this would be a huge improvement in moving around the overworld.

Maybe Link could be cursed and grow wings, and the game simply about him trying to stop his (gradual - this isn't an excuse for a "Twilight Realm") transformation, rather than stop any megalomaniac. Or, Link could call griffins, dragons and other beasts to use as transport. I don't mean this would be like an RPG, where you press a button and then enter a different mode. You'd actually have to climb on, like the boars and horse in Twilight Princess.

The Darknuts were good in Twilight Princess, but Stalfos needs to be reinstated as a challenging enemy, not just a small skeleton that you can fire a bomb-arrow at. They also need to reintroduce Moblins - one of the best enemies, which were modelled for Twilight Princess (29 seconds into the first trailer - he whacks Link with a pole) but cut out. Why, why, why?

I'd also like to see Wizzrobes again (like the Moblins, not seen since Wind Waker). It's fun to launch fire, ice and light arrows at them! The combat needs to be adrenaline-pumping, but not frustrating like Metroid Prime.

They could also take a leaf from the Team ICO games, which really explain very little, but there is enough information there for you to work out the story.

I would try and reduce voice-acting and cut scenes as much as possible. This way, the game feels a little bit like meditation.

Chris the great wrote:

if it breaks old patterns then it may lose what makes it zelda. while it would be interesting to see the serise go in a new direction, there are ares that shouldnt be tampered with

plus, the story you proposed sounds pretty similar to link to the past, if you remeber such games.

I agree. Nintendo should be extremely carefull about what background story they conjure up next. There was one comment I read once on one internet site where a reviewer lamented the the jumping back and forth in the timeline from one Zelda game to the next. He probably wanted it to be more linear in the progression instead of the quite confusing timelines so far experienced in the Zelda universe. I tend to agree. I had always wanted a Zelda series, where they gave us sequels that adhered more strictly to the times and events that had transpired in the last game that had been launched to market. I believe that it wouldn´t have hurt the series at all, because even though any new game followed strictly in the trail of the previous one, the setting could still be different each time like we saw in the transtition from OOT to MM.

Grazze wrote:

I'd also like to see Wizzrobes again (like the Moblins, not seen since Wind Waker). It's fun to launch fire, ice and light arrows at them! The combat needs to be adrenaline-pumping, but not frustrating like Metroid Prime.

I concurrently agree that we should have the fire, ice and light arrows back. They gave a special feeling of power and control to the whole game, plus they could be used many times again outside of where they were first aquired. I can´t even recall if they were in TLP.

The enemy system we saw in WW has not yet been matched. It was fun having spoils other than just coins and disembodied hearts. Messing around with the enemies weapons after you defeated them was actually pretty fun. I also liked how there were more different levels of each enemy. It really felt like you were fighting an army rather than just a bunch of random monsters thrown together.

Agree. The combat system got a drastic overhaul with WW, allthough I, like others I have heard express it, thought it a little over on the too-simplistic side. They could work on making it a little more complex, this time with true motion-control instead of tagged on half-way substitutes. Built from the ground up, the next Wii-Zelda can rightfully be expected to become a new milestone in RPG gaming. I think they get it right next time. But it is just a feeling that I have.

I concurrently agree that we should have the fire, ice and light arrows back. They gave a special feeling of power and control to the whole game, plus they could be used many times again outside of where they were first aquired. I can´t even recall if they were in TLP.

[spoiler=]Fire and ice weren't. Zelda created light arrows at the end and fired them herself.

The enemy system we saw in WW has not yet been matched. It was fun having spoils other than just coins and disembodied hearts. Messing around with the enemies weapons after you defeated them was actually pretty fun. I also liked how there were more different levels of each enemy. It really felt like you were fighting an army rather than just a bunch of random monsters thrown together.

Picking up opponents' weapons - you've reminded me of one more reason why Wind Waker was so technically advanced. When you think of the smooth-flowing overworld, the interactivity, the physics and how good the camera control was, Wind Waker really was a technical quantum leap above the N64 games, and is still the peak of the series (again, technically).

I think they get it right next time. But it is just a feeling that I have.

I've also got a feeling they'll get it right. Whether that means something fitted well to the system (like Phantom Hourglass) or a true masterpiece like Ocarina or Wind Waker, I'm not sure...

It was a shame TP didn't allow to pick up enemy's weapons, I think I read somewhere in a really really early interview they were meaning to incorporate it. Oh well.

Absolutely. Zelda needs to regain its status as THE best game out there. That can only be done by making the game more fluid, more smooth-flowing and more kinetic. It needs to be at the cutting edge of how easy it is to move around and interact with the game world.

Why can't we switch from 1st-person, 3rd-person and over-the-shoulder, for example, whenever we like, even in shops and towns? There's no real reason for it nowadays.

Personally, I think the story should be kept as simple as possible. Something like: "There's a very bad man called Trevor. Go and hit him with your sword."

If the game needs a new "hook", how about flight? I think it would be a genuine improvement to fly anywhere in the overworld whenever you liked. You should be able to take off from any village or location, fly around and land anywhere without any loading times. This isn't just a substitute for teleportation; this would be a huge improvement in moving around the overworld.

Maybe Link could be cursed and grow wings, and the game simply about him trying to stop his (gradual - this isn't an excuse for a "Twilight Realm") transformation, rather than stop any megalomaniac. Or, Link could call griffins, dragons and other beasts to use as transport. I don't mean this would be like an RPG, where you press a button and then enter a different mode. You'd actually have to climb on, like the boars and horse in Twilight Princess.

Good point about the freedom. And nice ideas about flight and animal taming.

Flight would need some work. Obviously, Link shouldn't be too overpowered.

Animal taming was something they should've fully implemented in Twilight Princess. I loved that monkey dungeon, and the few interactions available.

The Darknuts were good in Twilight Princess, but Stalfos needs to be reinstated as a challenging enemy, not just a small skeleton that you can fire a bomb-arrow at. They also need to reintroduce Moblins - one of the best enemies, which were modelled for Twilight Princess (29 seconds into the first trailer - he whacks Link with a pole) but cut out. Why, why, why?

I really wish they would bring back that WW system. Allied with TP's swordfighting skills, and OoT's competent enemies, we could have a very awesome fighting system.

And side-quests requiring monster-slaying (like a lot of WW sidequests) would make it perfect.

Wow, I just realized that WW has probably the best fighting system in the series. TP's lacked motivation or good enemies, while OoT's is getting a bit dated.

I wish the Wind Waker battle system didn't exist. It just consisted of circling your enemy until the A button flashed and you'd just roll around and tear a new arsehole. I beat Ganondorf by simple button bashing this way.

I wish the Wind Waker battle system didn't exist. It just consisted of circling your enemy until the A button flashed and you'd just roll around and tear a new arsehole. I beat Ganondorf by simple button bashing this way.

That was the main flaw. Easily abusable. A 1-on-1 swordfight was no fun because of that.

But if you wanted to get creative, it opened up quite a few fun possibilities.

There was one time I killed a monster because we both fell off a high ledge at the same time. I really wish I could have the Shield Thrust to do that more often.

I think that we should actually send this little wishlist for the next Zelda on Wii to Ninty themselves, because I have not yet seen such a perfect display of the pros and cons of the series to date. It would be the best feedback for them to fall back on in creating the next chapter. Anybody up for a little dispatch of a letter from Link´s "alter ego´s", and our wishes sent to Nintendo then?

I meant more just the way the enemies worked and such. The circling was boring. If it had some of TP's new moves only slightly harder to pull off it would be made of win.

I agree GD was way to easy.

Wow, I just realized that WW has probably the best fighting system in the series. TP's lacked motivation or good enemies, while OoT's is getting a bit dated.

I disagree, weapons aside, TP wipes the floor with it. First of all, the automated parries in WW are now actual attacks you must do manually, second with the wiimote it's fantastic to switch from sword to bow/hookshot/wtvr and aim quickly. Not to mention the horseback swordfighting. And I think TP's enemies are much cooler, with the exception of Moblins and miniblins (best enemies ever), they're much more suited to badass sword fighting and 1 on 1.

250px-Darknut.jpg

miniblins.jpg

Win.

EEVIL, you could do it, but that's just you abusing to something to strengthen your dislike on purpose, I never did that, so never had that particular problem with it :P

I see most responses as wishlists, but I can't really do something different than that either :P So far, every Zelda felt different from each other from me and I've been more than satisfied, but I would love if Nintedo would re-invent Zelda and possibly the genre again. Easier said than done of course, but that's kind of the point. Surprise us.

I disagree, weapons aside, TP wipes the floor with it. First of all, the automated parries in WW are now actual attacks you must do manually, second with the wiimote it's fantastic to switch from sword to bow/hookshot/wtvr and aim quickly. Not to mention the horseback swordfighting. And I think TP's enemies are much cooler, with the exception of Moblins and miniblins (best enemies ever), they're much more suited to badass sword fighting and 1 on 1.

250px-Darknut.jpg

miniblins.jpg

Win.

When I mentioned the fighting system, I wasn't referring solely on the fighting style, but everything surrounding it as well.

Of course TP wins at fighting style (with more skills and manual execution), but there's little motivation to go after enemies other than the desert cave. WW had spoil-collecting quests, pictographs to take, and interesting enemies appeared more often (as opposed to the excess of mini-bulblins in TP). Sure, it was fun using the spinner, ball&chain and bomb arrows in that cave, but I didn't use them anywhere else. And sure, it was fun facing Darknuts and Skulltulas, but those were a small portion of the game. Also, wolf combat sucked.

I see most responses as wishlists, but I can't really do something different than that either :P So far, every Zelda felt different from each other from me and I've been more than satisfied, but I would love if Nintedo would re-invent Zelda and possibly the genre again. Easier said than done of course, but that's kind of the point. Surprise us.

Gotta agree. Hence why I don't mind waiting a bit before the first piece of info on a new Zelda.

Yeah, the spoils were cool and the pictographs were amazing, so very addictive to get all of them. It was really an awesome idea.

Sign in to follow this