NEurope
Tellyn

N-Europe Wants YOU!

A couple of questions if I may:

1st - What constitutes excellent knowledge of the games industry? Since my work bans virtually every game site, I read the Games Industry and MCV sites (as well as my copy of Edge) more than the IGNs Gamespots, et al, but how do I know if that qualifies me as an expert in your eyes or not.

2nd - You've made it clear that the role is about bringing the news to the people, but is that all there is to it? Basically are there are "perks" to the job that might make the offer more appealing (to counter balance the work involved).

3rd - How much work do you estimate is involved? If I'm not prepared to be up at 3.30 in the morning to post some breaking news does that disqualify me from entry under the grounds of a general lack of commitment?

4th - Whats the deal with sources? How much of your news is regurgitated from other sites, taken from press releases, or discovered through your own journalist attributes? Basically if I were to just sit with several different sites open, and just lifted stuff off them as it was posted, would that be considered acceptable?

Maybe I'm looking at this a bit seriously but I think I may have something to offer. I'm pretty confident that I have the ability to write coherently at least if nothing else so it may be that my skills would be more suitable to a different post (if they were ever up for grabs) rather than a "newsie". Not that I mean to play down the role - clearly sites like these depend on them.

A couple of questions if I may:

1st - What constitutes excellent knowledge of the games industry? Since my work bans virtually every game site, I read the Games Industry and MCV sites (as well as my copy of Edge) more than the IGNs Gamespots, et al, but how do I know if that qualifies me as an expert in your eyes or not.

2nd - You've made it clear that the role is about bringing the news to the people, but is that all there is to it? Basically are there are "perks" to the job that might make the offer more appealing (to counter balance the work involved).

3rd - How much work do you estimate is involved? If I'm not prepared to be up at 3.30 in the morning to post some breaking news does that disqualify me from entry under the grounds of a general lack of commitment?

4th - Whats the deal with sources? How much of your news is regurgitated from other sites, taken from press releases, or discovered through your own journalist attributes? Basically if I were to just sit with several different sites open, and just lifted stuff off them as it was posted, would that be considered acceptable?

Maybe I'm looking at this a bit seriously but I think I may have something to offer. I'm pretty confident that I have the ability to write coherently at least if nothing else so it may be that my skills would be more suitable to a different post (if they were ever up for grabs) rather than a "newsie". Not that I mean to play down the role - clearly sites like these depend on them.

1. I didn't mean I expect you to recite the Konami Code backwards Hebrew, I just want people applying to have a good idea of the subject they're going to be writing about.

2. I don't really want people to sign up just for 'perks'. We aren't paid, this is entirely voluntary, the only real perks are making the site look the best it can be and getting to know a few things in advance.

3. Of course I'm not going to ask that of you... 2:30am will do fine. ;) Seriously, I want people who are committed and will write a good few posts per week.

4. Some of our news comes directly from us, but the majority is from other sites. We don't copy and paste, you'll need to rewrite an article and make it interesting without just changing about words.

Woot! Just got the email through! Thanks guys!

I can just see half of the main site getting invaded by green text...

Okay, now I'm sweating slightly. :(

Did yow get moi application e-mail? :wtf:

Aye, don't worry, he has it.

Aye, don't worry, he has it.

Well, that's one thing not to worry about now...

Woot! Just got the email through! Thanks guys!

What you chattin', fool?

Okay, now I'm sweating slightly. :(

Did yow get moi application e-mail? :wtf:

We're deliberating - I can send you an email to confirm I've got it if you want? :heh:

We're deliberating - I can send you an email to confirm I've got it if you want? :heh:

That's what happened last time I applied to be a staff member; I got an e-mail from Mark saying that they had it.

K. Got your e-mail.

Don't deliberate too quickly! I've purposefully not done mine yet because of a lack of decent stories not already covered on the main site.

What you chattin', fool?

Got teh email from Tphi saying I was new head of news.

:yay:

That's what happened last time I applied to be a staff member; I got an e-mail from Mark saying that they had it.

K. Got your e-mail.

;)

Don't deliberate too quickly! I've purposefully not done mine yet because of a lack of decent stories not already covered on the main site.

I'm risking a rift in the space-time continuum for you by quoting myself:

We're not setting any limits on the amount of people we want to hire, so there will be no need for any cataclysmic battles to the death with other applicants if you really would like to work here.

Got teh email from Tphi saying I was new head of news.

:yay:

Hey ReZ, someone's written a five star review of episode 1 of Balls!

Hmmm... should I apply? I do have an extensive amount of free time at the moment due to college being finished and waiting to see whether I can go and study what I want to at Uni. My only problem is that I'm not great with HTML which is probably going to be a problem. Other than that I'm fine. I have a rather extensive knowledge of the industry and the games (I've been playing them for about 14 years). I'll wait and see how my review goes down first :P Hope it was adequate for you Nathan

I'm back from my holiday, and I've started sending out emails to candidates regarding news/features posts. I'm happy to accept applications still if anyone else wants to give it a try (or if you feel you'd be able to bring anything else to the site such as columns/features).