NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Drift

Why do people seem suprised at game announcments?

I don't really get it, people are wanting announcments for these games, and sem genuinely suprised and happy when Nintendo says they're being developed...

Here's the thing, anyone who knows anything about Nintendo (which is everyone here) already knows these games are comming out. Why was it, for example, so special when Nintendo just confirmed pikmin? I mean, it's a successful series that has seen two previous iterations on the Gamecube, of course they're going to make another for the Wii, we practically knew that from launch. Same with Zelda, since the N64, there's always been two per generation, I could have told you, two Zelda games, and only two, would be released for the Wii before I even knew what the Wii was.

It's the same with most of Nintendo's main franchises, Metroid and Zelda mainly, pikmin will no doubt join the ranks if the first Wii outing is a success. We will also most probably see a single waverace and f-zero game this generation, I mean they sell, and the ground work is in place, why would Nintendo not develop them?

Now, if Nintendo announced a new Mario Galaxy game, that would be something to be excited about, we all know Mario is comming every generation (just like 2 Zelda games and 2 Metroid games), a second though would be so far unheard of since the Snes days.

So yeah, I don't see why people act suprised when this stuff is announced, give us a release date, or footage or details, then we can be excited, but telling us they're comming... Thats like announcing the fact the sun is going to rise in the morning. We (all of you infact) already knew this, what we want are details, and we don't seem to be getting them :(

I don't really get it, people are wanting announcments for these games, and sem genuinely suprised and happy when Nintendo says they're being developed...

Here's the thing, anyone who knows anything about Nintendo (which is everyone here) already knows these games are comming out. Why was it, for example, so special when Nintendo just confirmed pikmin? I mean, it's a successful series that has seen two previous iterations on the Gamecube, of course they're going to make another for the Wii, we practically knew that from launch. Same with Zelda, since the N64, there's always been two per generation, I could have told you, two Zelda games, and only two, would be released for the Wii before I even knew what the Wii was.

It's the same with most of Nintendo's main franchises, Metroid and Zelda mainly, pikmin will no doubt join the ranks if the first Wii outing is a success. We will also most probably see a single waverace and f-zero game this generation, I mean they sell, and the ground work is in place, why would Nintendo not develop them?

Now, if Nintendo announced a new Mario Galaxy game, that would be something to be excited about, we all know Mario is coming every generation (just like 2 Zelda games and 2 Metroid games), a second though would be so far unheard of since the Snes days.

So yeah, I don't see why people act suprised when this stuff is announced, give us a release date, or footage or details, then we can be excited, but telling us they're comming... Thats like announcing the fact the sun is going to rise in the morning. We (all of you infact) already knew this, what we want are details, and we don't seem to be getting them :(

It almost seemed like the announcement was in reaction to the question he was asked. You would think a big announcement like that would have happened during the big conference yesterday but the fact it happened the way it did, behind closed doors at the end of the private conference in response to a question makes you wonder if they were really working on it or just said that to appease the hardcore crowd/fans. What if had never been asked the question, would he still have announced it. It just seems a bit weird the way it went down:confused:

we all know Mario is comming every generation (just like 2 Zelda games and 2 Metroid games)

Huh? :wtf: Just because the GC had 2 Metroid games, the first ones since Super Metroid, we suddenly all know that there are always 2 Metroid games in all generations? :wtf:

Well, Nintendo likes releasing games in pairs. Aside from Mario games, nearly every other first party franchise has had 2 games last gen, Zelda also had two games the gen before.

I assume it's a patern thats most likely going to continue, for Zelda especially, so that was definetly no suprise, we haven't even had the first pikmin game on Wii yet, so we already knew that was comming. The only first party title I'd really want an announcment for is F-Zero as it's future is kinda still in doubt, though honestly it would be stupid if Nintendo didn't release a sequal. Although... they better not screw it up with the Wiimote.

In the end, Nintendo is a buisness like any other, new IP's require risk, but these already established ones, thier cash cows worth milking, and my bet is Nintendo is going to milk them, and two a generation seems to be the going rate for Nintendo.

So yeah, I'd say it's a pretty well educated guess :P

What... there were game announcements! Where were they???

Look so far we haven't heard from

Pikmin

Kid Icarus

Zelda (a proper Wii developed one)

Starfox

F-Zero

None of these showed up... instead we get Animal Crossing with Voice Chat, which sounds great... but isn't exactly what CORE gamers were hoping for.

What... there were game announcements! Where were they???

Look so far we haven't heard from

Pikmin

Kid Icarus

Zelda (a proper Wii developed one)

Starfox

F-Zero

None of these showed up... instead we get Animal Crossing with Voice Chat, which sounds great... but isn't exactly what CORE gamers were hoping for.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/891/891395p1.html

Reggie's gonna be gobsmacked when he looks at the Nintendo channel in a year and sees a big slice of the audience pie belongs to casuals for Animal Crossing. It's a great game but it's no way gonna please "core" gamers. Nothing pleases core gamers.

Pikmin is definately my most anticipated game there.

I know what you mean actually. Star Fox has been successful on every console (and Lylat Wars was an enourmous success), so it'd be stupid if we didn't get a Wii one, but not hearing about one yet is disappointing because that means they're probably not far through developing one yet. I'd be slightly excited if they announced Star Fox Wii, but it'd be a 'It's nearly here' excitement. Sort of like with games like Pokemon Platinum, which we knew was definately going to come. It still excited us when it was announced because it meant it was almost 'here'.

I'm not surprised at all by what they announced. I don't know why they keep banging on about "we've still got games for core gamers". In my opinion they haven't and probably won't anymore, i'd rather they just admitted they're catering for the casual market and focus on that.

Now, if Nintendo announced a new Mario Galaxy game, that would be something to be excited about, we all know Mario is comming every generation (just like 2 Zelda games and 2 Metroid games), a second though would be so far unheard of since the Snes days.

Cant agree more, exept in regions above the polar circle, in part of the winter and summer seasons, the sun dont rise at all.

Here's the thing, anyone who knows anything about Nintendo (which is everyone here) already knows these games are comming out. Why was it, for example, so special when Nintendo just confirmed pikmin? I mean, it's a successful series that has seen two previous iterations on the Gamecube, of course they're going to make another for the Wii, we practically knew that from launch.

*Looks around*

We did?

Basically, you're saying that Nintendo has not yet abandoned an established franchise (say, two games or more). You might be right, I don't know.

However, I retain the right to be surprised and happy, which beats being sad and expectant any day.

Huh? :wtf: Just because the GC had 2 Metroid games, the first ones since Super Metroid, we suddenly all know that there are always 2 Metroid games in all generations? :wtf:

not to mention that there wasn't a single metroid game for n64 despite it's success.

to be surprised and happy, which beats being sad and expectant any day.

:bowdown: Amen! I still don't get why people jump to the conclusion that Nintendo has completely abandoned its core games like Mario and Zelda and gone a hundred percent casual. :confused:

:bowdown: Amen! I still don't get why people jump to the conclusion that Nintendo has completely abandoned its core games like Mario and Zelda and gone a hundred percent casual. :confused:

Well, as much as I hate to say it, it does seem like it's travelling that way. I know it will never go 100% casual, as it owes it's existance today to the Mario series, however, as the sales figures demonstrate (and we heard enough about these at the conference on Tuesday), Nintendo's aiming at casual gamers has boosted its profits hugely. In the same way that they'll never stop making Zelda games because they make a lot of money, they'll also aim more and more to casual gamers because, again, it makes a lot of money.

I'm not surprised at all by what they announced. I don't know why they keep banging on about "we've still got games for core gamers". In my opinion they haven't and probably won't anymore, i'd rather they just admitted they're catering for the casual market and focus on that.

I think its a stretch to say that they wont make core games anymore, but i do think they are actively trying to ween their fanbase off of expensively produced software

Nintendo knows that for every hardcore customer they lose to MS or Sony, they gain 2 or 3 more casuals.

Ill use Maase as an example:

Maase: Fuck you Nintendo! Im buying a 360!

Nintendo: So? Both of your grandmas and your uncle just bought a Wii and unlike you, they have disposable incomes *

Theyre simply not interested in being the best hardware/software makers in the industry anymore like they were in the NES-N64 era now that they have discovered that being conservative is soooo much more profitable.

*also this isnt a jab at Maase, hes 14 so i assume he doesnt have a job

Call me an optimist or a hopeless Nintendo fanboy, but I refuse to believe Nintendo is going to let down its loyal fanbase, despite all the signs. :) I might be right or wrong, but saying Nintendo has completely abandoned its core fanbase is not true. Not yet.

It looks like Nintendo are making successors to all their major franchises this generation.

What we got so far:

Super Mario Galaxy

Zelda: Twilight Princess

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Metroid Prime 3

Super Paper Mario

Mario Kart Wii

WarioWare: Smooth Moves

Mario Strikers Charged

Excite Truck

Battalion Wars 2

Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree

Donkey Kong Barrel Blast

Pokemon Battle Revolution

Mario Party 8

Dr. Mario Online RX

Mario Super Sluggers

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Announced:

Animal Crossing: City Folk

Pikmin 3

Wario Land: The Shake Dimension

Kirby Wii

What's missing:

Kid Icarus - rumoured to be made by Factor 5

Mother/Earthbound - maybe done by Monolith?

F-Zero - made by Sega again?

Pilotwings

Star Fox

1080 Snowboarding

Luigi's Mansion

Call me an optimist or a hopeless Nintendo fanboy, but I refuse to believe Nintendo is going to let down its loyal fanbase, despite all the signs. :) I might be right or wrong, but saying Nintendo has completely abandoned its core fanbase is not true. Not yet.
Hear hear.

We were all expecting a Santa Clause. We can make a habit of it every year, I mean, it's been a real bomb for Nintendo fans for the last 2-3 years. But the truth is, sometimes things just continue without a loud bang because we're already on a good lane.

This year's E3 Nintendo had "To Be Continued..." written all over it, and I can't see why that's a problem, I want it to continue as it has done.

Sign in to follow this