N-Europe

Wireless file transfer speeds?

Mr_Odwin

I have a desktop running Ubuntu with all my media files on it and I have a laptop running Vista.

A 54G router connects the two (desktop is wired to it, laptop has a wireless G card) and I can transfer files between them, but the transfer speed seems to top out at about 1.25mb/s (so a 75mb file would take about a minute to transfer). This seems low. Is it?

Guest Jordan

That is... very low.

Unless your router has abit of an issue from going to wired to wireless it could be an issue with signal strength.

Any other activity involving the router will significantly hamper the speed (As I've found but may be obvious).

Fastest wireless file transfer I did involved my laptop, main computer and a netgear wireless max router and it took about 3 minutes for a 350mb video. Even so, thats about 2mb/s, im happy with it, but I'm pretty sure something should be faster.

When I get home I'm going to switch it from mixed mode to pure G and see if that makes a difference.

Edit: Got home and switched to the 54G mode and the file transfer speed has gone up to 2.5MBps, which is like 20Mbps and I've read that isn't too bad.