NEurope
mr_bogus

Update 3.3 hacked, homebrew alive & kicking again

generic forum comment: but but homebrew is wrong and illegal. now i need to go off and complain about the lack of wii games because i am so god damn rich.

end of

The only problem with the home-brew was that people found out how to get Shot Channel products for free.

But home-brew itself is great. If they just could block the shop channel hack, it could even benefit them as It would mean more people would potentially become an official dev and begin making Wii ware.

Also, on a slightly related subject, does anyone here know how hard it is to port a flash game to the Wii?

Also, on a slightly related subject, does anyone here know how hard it is to port a flash game to the Wii?

Apart from sticking it on a webpage & running it through the internet channel, i'd imagine it would mostly mean using a flash playing library. Lots of games use flash for menus etc these days.

The only problem with the home-brew was that people found out how to get Shot Channel products for free.

But home-brew itself is great. If they just could block the shop channel hack, it could even benefit them as It would mean more people would potentially become an official dev and begin making Wii ware.

It's not that simple, I am not aware of a shop channel hack, I think that was misinterpretation, people simply got their games through their pc's normally like you get a pirated game and put it on the Wii. Even if that was not the case, such specific things aren't easy to take care of.

Now, it's obvious that not only are these solutions by Nintendo not very effective and elegant, but they're also avoiding bricking Wiis, which is what Microsoft did, so we won't see an end to this, regardless, both the pirate and homebrew community are relentless.

Also, there are process using loaders without the TP hack they just don't work as well, TP save was the first being hacked because it was the first pirated tried, so if there is a pattern that allows all or many saves to be hacked, Nintendo can block them instead of just going after one save, if there isn't a pattern... well, it doesn't really matter cause the hackers would need to hack dozens or hundreds of saves anyway.

Surely the username Mr.Bogus isnt very suitable for reporting news?

Hopefully this'l crack the Freeloader lock.

Surely the username Mr.Bogus isnt very suitable for reporting news?

Hopefully this'l crack the Freeloader lock.

It doesn't. Your safest bet would be do the twilight hack, install the homebrew channel and use the Gecko region free, since the hacker community will always be above Nintendo.

what's the situation for playing "backed up" games on your wii.does twilight hack allow this or is a mod chip required?

The situation is that we can't talk about it.

Kinda like the fight club.

Kay, I'm going down the homebrew route on my Wii now as well as my DS.

Nintendo not very effective and elegant, but they're also avoiding bricking Wiis, which is what Microsoft did

If the homebrew community are continually hacking these updates, its only a matter of time until Execs sanction the use of Wii-breaking firmware. There are terms and conditions to using your Wii- including adhering to region locks, only using Nintendo licensed hardware and software. Nintendo is one of the most protective companies i can think of, there is simply no way they're going to leave Wii open to potential revenue loss.

I am of the opinion that, when you pay 250 euros for your Wii, you can do whatever the fuck you want with it. Nintendo can't force you Terms Of Use to only have Nintendo licensed stuff running on it. This homebrew community isn't violating any copyright, so they should be free to do whatever they want. Nintendo are free to try to stop them, but bricking their Wiis goes too far.

If the homebrew community are continually hacking these updates, its only a matter of time until Execs sanction the use of Wii-breaking firmware. There are terms and conditions to using your Wii- including adhering to region locks, only using Nintendo licensed hardware and software. Nintendo is one of the most protective companies i can think of, there is simply no way they're going to leave Wii open to potential revenue loss.

They already did, if they wanted they probably could have already bricked a load of Wiis.

I am of the opinion that, when you pay 250 euros for your Wii, you can do whatever the fuck you want with it. Nintendo can't force you Terms Of Use to only have Nintendo licensed stuff running on it. This homebrew community isn't violating any copyright, so they should be free to do whatever they want. Nintendo are free to try to stop them, but bricking their Wiis goes too far.

Your opinion is wrong lol. You can't play pirated games on a PC just because you spent 1000€ on it. Homebrew itself isn't illegal (although it's sketchy), but you HAVE TO ABIDE BY THE LAW, so they can do whatever they want with their consoles and the services they provide, because they've stipulated limits. Let's face it, 99,9% of the people who use homebrew do it to do illegal things.

Freeloader isn't licensed and it isn't illegal, but Nintendo doesn't have to support it and can choose to stop it.

I would really reccommend getting into the wii homebrew there are some excellent things out and about. I have a fantastic homebrew app which allows me to load games off of an sd card so no need to waste space on the wii.

Scuba, you can't talk about those things, please edit your post.

You can't play pirated games on a PC just because you spent 1000€ on it. Homebrew itself isn't illegal (although it's sketchy), but you HAVE TO ABIDE BY THE LAW, so they can do whatever they want with their consoles and the services they provide, because they've stipulated limits. Let's face it, 99,9% of the people who use homebrew do it to do illegal things.

Freeloader isn't licensed and it isn't illegal, but Nintendo doesn't have to support it and can choose to stop it.

Read my post again, I didn't promote piracy - I specifically mentioned nobody was violating any copyright. If you want to run your software on your Wii, then Nintendo shouldn't create anything that breaks your Wii when you do so. They're free to restrict it however they can, but homebrew is not illegal per se. I don't see why I would pay 250 euros and not get to do whatever I legally can with it.

FYI, most people into homebrew do it for fun, to develop Wii software they'd otherwise have to pay thousands of dollars for. There's too much piracy involved, yeah.

Fact is, the means through which homebrew runs is in violation of their terms and conditions, so it's their legal right to take action against it. You say homebrew is legal, so you should be able to do it without fear, however, knowing what homebrew leads to every company takes pre-emptive measures to protect themselves. If they started bricking Wiis, I'm sure you'd see much less messing around, because lots of people would be afraid. Gladly they seem to be actively avoiding bricking Wiis, which is probably why it took them 3 months to "activate" the fix which was already present in some form in the wii shop update.

Although some homebrewers do it for fun, it's a minority and most of the users don't care about anything but emulators and whatnot. "I'm not doing this for the piracy" is just what some people say to themselves to help them sleep better at night. There is a reason why emulators and hacking is more advanced than custom applications that don't have anything to do with illegal activities.

Hacking a Nintendo game save that exploits bugs or holes in Wii's code is in breach of the terms and conditions, you can't just think about copyrights. That's why there are methods to use homebrew that are 100% legal and dont hack or breach anything and Nintendo didn't do a thing about those. Of course, they don't work as well either.

People bang on about stuff being illegal and how they don't download games but I bet they don't have a problem downloading music? My view on things is if its that easy to get it for free why pay?

People bang on about stuff being illegal and how they don't download games but I bet they don't have a problem downloading music? My view on things is if its that easy to get it for free why pay?

That's nice and all but this forum has rules, you wanna talk about it, go to another one.

I think he was talking about booting games he owned off an SD card anyway. Scuba, could you add me on MSN, I'd like a chat :)

I need to buy an SD card first.

I think that "you can own a rom of a game you own" theory is a myth or ancient history.