N-Europe

Need help with new components :D

Dyson

Righto, here's a thread for you clever PC type people.

dxdiag.png

This is what my DxDiag tells me about my system. I get paid this week and I was thinking of upgrading my PC - it takes a long time to load most games and quitting them can sometimes be even worse. System startup time is seriously painful, too.

What I'm thinking is that I need some new RAM and a new processor, but there's a whole ton of stuff to look at for these.

I have my eyes on some 2gb DDR3 RAM; however I don't know if DDR3 needs a special connection on the motherboard etc. If it does, chances are I don't have them, so if you could let me know of any decent 2gb DDR2 RAM that'd be cool.

As for a processor, I honestly do not know where to start, what with all the single core, dual core, quad core, clock speeds etc.

I'd like to spend up to £60 on the RAM and no more than £130 on a processor. My video card is fine as it is :D

So any help (plus anything else you can think of, perhaps regarding the page file size?) would be much appreciated. Links also, plz :D

Well you almost certainly will need a new motherboard for RAM and the processor as well. I'd go for a Dual Core, they're cheaper than Quad Cores and should serve you well.

If you want cheap RAM you better stick with DDR2, DDR2 motherboards are also a bit cheaper than DDR3.

About the pagefile. Set standard and maximum size to the same value, that prevents alot of fragmentation and I think you could set it to 2 GB btw.

But if you say it takes ages to start, you should consider formatting because most probably in that case the startup is cluttered with unneccessary programs, you've got faulty components and/or a virus

Unless you really want to run some serious shit on your pc, I don't really think its necessary to get a new motherboard and ddr3 ram.

I'd suggest doing these one by one, and if you see major improvement, problem solved:

1) Format XP

2) Buy 1gb ram (don't need anymore than 2GB for an XP machine)

3) Buy new processor - dual core would be fine

4) buy custom fan and clock it.

You'll probably find with a format (removing all the startup crap that gathers after a while) and new ram will do you fantastically. ^__^

Would have to agree with trying to make your current system as efficient as possible before upgrading. Even simple things like removing any stubborn fragmented files after a defrag can help. Definitely get a registry cleaner if you don't have one now, as that can get seriously clogged. For about £15 you can be sorted for a whole year. DDR3 is still in its infancy and cannot be truly effective without a high end system behind it, so yeah, stick with DDR2 for the time being. Don't rule out AMD but remember that their GHz ratings are equivalent at about half that of Pentium.

Would have to agree with trying to make your current system as efficient as possible before upgrading. Even simple things like removing any stubborn fragmented files after a defrag can help. Definitely get a registry cleaner if you don't have one now, as that can get seriously clogged. For about £15 you can be sorted for a whole year. DDR3 is still in its infancy and cannot be truly effective without a high end system behind it, so yeah, stick with DDR2 for the time being. Don't rule out AMD but remember that their GHz ratings are equivalent at about half that of Pentium.

OR... just format it all and solve all those problems in one go?

Lazy/free but efficient, that's my game ^____^

But yeah don't waste ya money on an upgrade that may not be essential young dyson.

I agree on the ddr3 comment, its in its infancy and the last time I checked was rather expensive! A good way to play it would be to wait until the prices fall, and grab a DDR3 motherboard when the market is at its best. Rather than paying a fortune for something worthless in 3/4 years time :)

Right, I went for a RAM upgrade (from 1gig to 2gig, DDR400 as it's all my MOBO supports ¬¬) and general system maintenance. I'll see how this goes, otherwise I reckon I'll just buy a new desktop PC : peace: