N-Europe

Fuel Prices ~ Pipe Line Card

Kirkatronics

I only realised how bad petrol prices were last night when my mates mum came to buckingham to pick us up (its about 25mins away). She topped her car (diesel) and it was £1.29 a litre :(

Wow can't wait to get a car now....unleaded's not that far off right?

Grr

You are an idiot. Sorry, i don't want to insult you but that post is 90% stupid.

Yes, like every other commodity the price of oil is determined by supply and demand, but the idea behind this scheme is as a loyalty card. Basically the members of this scheme would be increasing a petrol company's revenues by all purchasing from the same company. In return they are after a small cut of the profit in the form of a discount.

That makes perfect sense. There is a HUGE amount of profit in Petrol and Diesel! To give you an idea, the Venezuelan gouvernment can supply petrol to it's people at 5p/litre. They charge for manufacture and distribution costs, nothing more. Add on to that the price of the raw oil ($138.14/bbl or $1.16/litre, £0.59/litre) and the extra distribution costs for shipping it over here and you still won't be anywhere near the 20p/litre mark. The remaining £1 or so per litre is profit and tax.

The slice of that "profit" that the goverment snatches comes back to benefit us. The slice that the oil companies take doesn't. The tax on fuel, alcohol and tobacco is going up because consumers are spending less, meaning the government is getting less from VAT. Do you have a better way for them to get the money?

I do think that the petrol tax and car tax increases are a tad unfair on business travel though. Personally i think that if your business depends on transport then you should be getting a little bit of tax relief (im talking about haulage companies here, not someone driving from Brum to London for a meeting. He/she can get the train instead)

Your an idiot.

How can you compare venezuala to this country. A govenment owned company vs private corporations?

As for this loyalty card. Do you really thin kthe fuel companys are that bothered. How many major fuel suppliers are there in this country?? not many at all. All the fuel comes from the same few companys just branded and sold by different names.

As already stated they dont need to worry about your loyalty as they can sell it to china. Its not like they are having trouble to shift it.

Your an idiot.

How can you compare venezuala to this country. A govenment owned company vs private corporations?

As for this loyalty card. Do you really thin kthe fuel companys are that bothered. How many major fuel suppliers are there in this country?? not many at all. All the fuel comes from the same few companys just branded and sold by different names.

As already stated they dont need to worry about your loyalty as they can sell it to china. Its not like they are having trouble to shift it.

If they can do it for 5p a litre then we could buy it from them and import it. They will have the same/similar costs that we do of getting the oil.

Your an idiot.

I was talking about the cost of producing petrol with the Venezuela example, it costs 10-15p a litre maximum to manufacture and ship to this country. The point i was making is that the government aren't the only ones making a lot of money off petrol, so blaming them for the high prices is a tad unfair.

And the loyalty card will work. For a start each forecourt company is a seperately run business with it's own sales targets to meet. If the guys organising this were to talk to the UK sales director at Esso (as an example) he ain't gonna go "nah, we can just sell it to China instead" because that would not be beneficial to him. He would instead look at the proposal, decide if it's profitable for HIS forecourts, work out whether or not it can be implemented and then decide to take or turn down the offer (so far they've been told no because there aren't enough people in the scheme to make it worth the bother).

The second part of that being simple: they can't "just sell it to China". China isn't short on petrol. Supply and demand, you increase supply with the same demand and the price drops. The petrol companies can still supply enough to cover all demand, there's just more of it.

And what do the government do with all this Tax?

Help first time buyers? No.

Build more prisons? No.

Clear Student Loans? (ATM interest on a ?12000 loan is ?54 a month.) No

Improve public transport significantly & cheaper (to combat the amount of traffic on our roads? No.

Oh wait lets pay for everyone to have a swim. Fuckin' Joke!

________

Psr-7

Edited by fex

If they can do it for 5p a litre then we could buy it from them and import it. They will have the same/similar costs that we do of getting the oil.

Im guessing if it was really that simple. Then they would already be doing it. Venezuala is a fairly poor country. So why would there govenment want to sell us oil for next to nothing. When they can sell it at the world price and generate money to be spent in venezuala.

Its a sellers market. they literaly have you over a barrel. (pun inteneded)

Im guessing if it was really that simple. Then they would already be doing it. Venezuala is a fairly poor country. So why would there govenment want to sell us oil for next to nothing. When they can sell it at the world price and generate money to be spent in venezuala.

Its a sellers market. they literaly have you over a barrel. (pun inteneded)

But that's how much the venezualan government charge for petrol. If you go to venezuala you will be able to get it at that price.

So therefore you could import it and it would still cost you less. You would still have to pay tax I believe but it would still be a lot cheaper than £1.19.

You'd have to have a Venezualan citizen buying the petrol and shipping it out though. And then there's the chance that their government is wise to that sort of idea and charges a hefty export duty (i've no idea if they do or not, but it would seem sensible).

You'd have to have a Venezualan citizen buying the petrol and shipping it out though. And then there's the chance that their government is wise to that sort of idea and charges a hefty export duty (i've no idea if they do or not, but it would seem sensible).

Yes but the point is if the Venezualan government can sell it that cheap then the petrol in our country could quite easily be a few pence cheaper.