NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Marshmellow

Just lost a bunch of data...

If you don't know the story, my motherboard broke so I put in an old one, but the old one doesn't run Vista so I put a hard drive in that I had lying around and put XP on it. I just left my Vista hard drive plugged into the old motherboard as a Slave drive so I could still access all my music and pictures and all that stuff.

And this setup worked for a while, but all of a sudden ALL of the documents, music, videos, everything in my folder on the Vista hard drive is gone. But the hard drive space is still the same...So what does that mean? And is there anyway to recover it all?

Thanks

try running a search for a filename you know used to be there, make sure your search includes non-indexed and hidden files. Or just try searching your whole computer for ".mp3" or something. Once I lost loads of files with a chkdisk issue, but they'd all just recovered and moved to some random numerically titled folder somewhere out of the way.

Look at the hidden files. Most importantly, don't save anything onto the drive.

Maybe plug it into another computer, could be that it would get recognized there. And yes don't write anything to it.

Sign in to follow this