N-Europe

Some webpages not loading!

triforce_keeper

Start > Run> "cmd"

type:

ipconfig /flushdns

If that doesn't work then it's possible your ISP is having issues. You could try OpenDNS:http://opendns.com/

Instructions on how to use it are on the site.

I tried both options, and both didn't work.

I have tried different browsers aswell, no luck.

Thanks for the fast reply Sanchez :smile:

Any other ideas?

What ISP are you with anyway triforce? I get this problem every once in a while but it is usually just google that dosn't work.

Sky Broadband

Sometimes if your ISP doesn't update its DNS on time or correctly websites will refuse to load.

Oh right! Maybe me switching to OpenDns solved it then?

Should I stick with OpenDns?

Guest Jordan
do u have windows updates on? if so turn it off and update windows when u want to. i am on sky bb as well and they told me that windows update is the problem and since turning it off everything loads fine for me.

Surely thats utter bull shit O_o

Windows Update pings the update server every few days to check for updates...

The problem is Sky Broadband being lazy, not Windows update. It's much easier for them to blame Windows that way they don't actually have to change the way they work.

It's standard tech support BS. If something computer related doesn't work blame Windows and give each user having the problem a client-side fix that they implement themselves. Saves the tech guys the time it takes to get it right in the first place, passing the blame to Microsofr in the process...

It has happened again the past couple of days, but I think I have figured out the problem.

I use BitDefender as my Antivirus, and recently it has been saying it has blocked a virus in my computer, a trojan. Vundo. EHN to be exact.

Anyway, after the virus alert, these pages immediately stop working.

If I restart the computer everything seems to be fine again.

Now, the path the alerts give me, I've tried following and finding the folders, but I can't seem to find them.

I'm stuck on what to do now :S

Any suggestions?

I had a problem with some websites not working once, turned out that if you have your MTU value on your internet connection lower than what windows expects it can cause problems. A quick dig in the registry and you can change it.

I doubt this is what your problem is but it might be worth checking if your MTU value is lower than 1500 on your router/modem.

Also had a problem logging onto some websites (hotmail.com, ebay.co.uk) I had to refresh some of the windows DLL's in the end. I can dig out the knowledge base article if you need it, but I think the Virus is probably your problem if I reset fixes it.

EDIT:- Do you have "Hide System Files" checked on the windows explorer config?