N-Europe

Laptop Power Shortage

CooInTheZoo

I'm having a bit of bother with my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo laptop (not quite sure which model it is)

It's about three years old, and tbh I never expected it to still be running smoothly by now but its started to suddenly cut out on me. If i'm lucky, I get half an hour out of it, but whether the charger is in or not, it just turns off without warning.

I installed more RAM a while back, which might have something to do with it but I checked to make sure the laptop could handle it. The charger gets really hot after being in there for more than 5 mins, and when I opened it up last night there was some black marks under the keyboard, possibly burn marks?

Is there anyway of telling if its the motherboard, or the battery, or the charger? If I had to buy a new pc/laptop it would be a mac (i'm a film student, editing on here is a nightmare) but it would kill my bank account, so any help asap would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Have you tried taking the ram out that you installed? See if it functions okay. I don't see why it wouldn't, but worth a try.

Hahaha I never thought of doing that! I must of installed it at least a month ago and its been working perfectly till the last few days. Anyway, I just removed it 10 minutes ago and apart from the laptop not recognising the charger till I re-inserted it, its been working smoothly (a lot slower though)

Have you looked at refurbished macbooks at all.

No actually, I know so little about macs, its awful. What's a refurbished macbook?

I planted the idea of a mac in my mothers head as a birthday/start of uni present, and she hasn't said "they cost HOW much?!!" yet... I think i'll leave the idea in the idea in there a little longer.

SCRAP THAT!!! I jinxed it. It just all went dead again. Gotta love that firefox, saving this rant for me. At least I know now its probably definitely not the RAM.

You could call a local computer store and they can probably fix it for about £30, mine did at least when my sisters laptop had a similar problem.

A refurbished macbook is a macbook that has been sent in to apple for repairs and then been repaired and made reselling ready, you can see them on the Apple site.

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/9094040/wo/JX6yDtTXwGAe3m7usI11GFuZXrO/2.0.0.26.9.5.7.1.2.1.1

(if that doesn't work, the link is at the right near the bottom of the apple store)

They don't have any right now but they do come and go, they had some a few days ago. IIRC they knock off £100-150 off the price.

Guest Jordan
Have you looked at refurbished macbooks at all.

Emasher, you really don't miss a chance to throw that in do you? :D

From those results It would suggest that there is no overheating from the cpu why your laptop is switching off. Trying checking it when there is more stress on your processor like watching a video or playing a game. But it seems that you don't have an overheat issue.

A temp of around 90 degrees is something to worry about.