N-Europe

k800i Software Buggered Up

Cube

I got the SE k800i in January 2007 and I haven't had a single problem with it until I turned it on today.

The OS has messed up and is only displaying the very bottom of the screen (but stretched):

DSC00006.jpg

Everything still works but I can't see the screen (except for when I use the camera or load a java game). Which is slightly problematic. Using another k800i as a guide I've tried changing the theme, resetting the settings and performing a master reset. None of them do anything.

I've also tried updating the firmware, but the one my phone came with is the newest available.

Does anyone know how I can totally reset my phone? or some other way of solving the problem (I've used Google a lot to try and find a solution)?

Bizzarre... you say everything's still working, you just can't see anything? Well assuming it's the same as the k810, this would be how to get to factory reset (blindly)

Menu/joystick button

# (shortcut to settings button)

UP on joystick (once)

Select

DOWN on joystick (once)

Continue

now... unsurprisingly I didn't really want to go any further than that, but I'm guessing it will ask for a code, which will probably be something like 1234 or 12345 or 0000 or 000000 -- or something along those lines.

Edit: Sorry, just realised you said you tried already using another one as reference, didn't read that the first time.... then alternatively the phone software from SE or MyPhoneExplorer might be able to do it?

Is it still in warranty? Would be good grounds to get it replaced.

Yeah if it's not in warranty and you can't get to the master reset option i'd say your phone's just done for. You can use the program MyPhoneExplorer (top result on google) to get all your pics, movies, text messages etc off your phone.

Yeah if it's not in warranty and you can't get to the master reset option i'd say your phone's just done for. You can use the program MyPhoneExplorer (top result on google) to get all your pics, movies, text messages etc off your phone.

I don't do a lot of texting/phoning anyway (but more phoning than texting - and the phone still works, but no phonebook). And I've learnt how to navigate to the music player, plus the camera still works. So it's still useful.

You could try taking it to a Sony Ericsson service centre, I think most Carphone Warehouses are SE services centres.

I'll give them a try.

Anyway, thanks everyone for helping.