Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

If you haven't played Aquaria... PLAY IT NOW

Drift

This game is amazing, guys, and I'm sure some of you have already heard of it, it's won many many awards. It's an indie game developed by two people over two years, but I'll be damned if it doesn't stand up to Nintendo's very best. If you just want a link, scroll to the bottom.

It's kind of an underwater mix of Metroid and Zelda. It's firmly in the adventure genre, more so then any of Nintendo's series are really, which threw alot of people of. The game gives you very little guidance at the start, you know as much as the character you play, which is nothing, so you head out to explore, thats as much guidance as you get, think metroid prime but without the hints and with an even larger and more open world.

However, once you get the hang of it, it's brilliant, one discovery will lead to others, and just like metroid and Zelda, there are MANY secrets and upgrades to discover, boss fights rival the best from either Nintendo series, and the final fight is seriously epic. The ending of the game IS better then anything Nintendo has ever produced, and is infact better then any game I can remember, partly due to the plot which is amazing. You don't really get it at first, it seems to be about a number of destoryed civilisations, and a jelouse god. Every civilisation (read:Temple) you visit in the adventure is destoryed, and you slowly work out why untill you come to the end of the temple, by the end, you understand most of what happened, but there's still blanks. However, at the very end of the game, everything is tied up so perfectly, and linked together, it's an amazing plot that I'd say rivals most films, I can't speak highly enough of it.

Lastly, the voice acting, and graphics. The main character (Naija) has a brilliant voice actor, however, the voice acting for the other characters only gets better. Although your generally alone, there are some flash backs, and of course the Gods also speak, the writing and voice talent is amazing.

Oh and the graphics, well, just have a look at the screens, nuff said, one of the best looking 2D titles ever. Make sure to enable frame buffer effects! Oh right, and the music, absolutly amazing, haunting even. If you want an example of that with some gameplay footage

I highly recomend everyone to download the demo and give it a shot

http://www.bit-blot.com/aquaria/

$30 for the full version, demo lasts about 1 and a half, to two hours, go for it guys, it's better then any recent Zelda game, and your paying 2 to 3 times more for them :P

EDIT: I should probably also add, for 30 bucks, your getting a game that lasts people from about 15-25 hours to complete (I was around the 16 hour mark) though again it's alot like Zelda and Metroid in that the more you discover, the longer it's going to take you and the more your going to find. I predict even now it's going to take me upto at least the 30 hour mark to acctually discover everything.

I had heard of this, possibly on 1upyours. Downloading.

Edit: LOVE the trailer music.

Edit 2 - The Revenge: So beautiful... They should have sent a poet.

A fan of "Contact", I see.:)

Beautiful, beautiful game with an outstanding soundtrack. Impressive what 2 people can accomplish with time and effort.