N-Europe

Formating an external harddrive to make it work with my PS3

Domo Kun

Hello!

I have a Seagate 250gb external HDD and I want to use it with my PS3. I don't really understand what any of this means, but it's currently in NTFS format which is not recognised by the ps3, I need to reformat it to FAT32. How do I do this and what are the implications of doing this? I've read (and not reaaaally understood...) that NTFS is better than FAT32. Could I format it again afterwards back to NTFS again if I wanted?

Thanks!

Hello!

I have a Seagate 250gb external HDD and I want to use it with my PS3. I don't really understand what any of this means, but it's currently in NTFS format which is not recognised by the ps3, I need to reformat it to FAT32. How do I do this and what are the implications of doing this? I've read (and not reaaaally understood...) that NTFS is better than FAT32. Could I format it again afterwards back to NTFS again if I wanted?

Thanks!

Formatting it will delete all the data on the drive. Other than that theres no realy reason not to, NTFS may be better but FAT32 is compatable with more stuff

ok maybe you can't do it that simply (i was actually just guessing)

in that case:

right click on "my computer"

click "manage"

go to "disk management" under "storage"

then right click on the drive and try it from there

check it isn't FAT32 already from that screen.

Can't the PS3 recognize ext3 format? FAT32 is pretty compatible but it only allows for files of 4 GB. With ext3, there are plenty of free apps to format them and read them, and you don't have any limitations.

The 32GB limit is artificial, in Windows to stop you from using them (yeah, beats me too) but a FAT32 volume can be up to 8 terabytes in size theoretically. Anyway, that's not important. Basically you need a tool other than Windows' built in format to format the damn drive.

You just have to google it

here's some program that should do it: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm