N-Europe

Alternatives to Windows Movie Maker

Slaggis

Don't be a smart arse and mention something about macs please, it's late and I'm not in the mood! :p

Right, I'm trying to make a movie from loads of pics I have (and a few vids), and thats all fine in movie maker, but when I add music, and try and edit the length of tracks etc, it always messes up the place I've cut it down too. I hate movie maker, so are there any free alternatives?

Help!

The only thing I know of is Virtual Dub.

I'm not sure if this will help you though, I didn't manage to do something there properly.

Nope, that didn't really do stuff properly. Thanks for the help though.

I don't even mind if it's shareware and it offers something like a 2 week trial, I just need something to do this project for college.

1. It's for Macs

2. It's not free

3. Do you have to work hard at being this annoying, or does it come naturally?

So your three major things are that it's for windows, free and not anjnoying. Okay, you have two.

In the free category you wo'nt find anything decent (look at WIndows Movie Maker: it isn't even half-decent). If you're willing to pay (or crack, but I don't condone that) for Premiere Pro CS3 - it's not the easiest to get on with but if you know Adobe Apps, you'll find your way around it. And it really has lots of possibilities.

Avid is a good choice to, but that's a little higher than Premiere Pro - it's really meant for the uber-professionals that don't work with FInal Cut and wanted to stick to Windows.

So your three major things are that it's for windows, free and not anjnoying. Okay, you have two.

In the free category you wo'nt find anything decent (look at WIndows Movie Maker: it isn't even half-decent). If you're willing to pay (or crack, but I don't condone that) for Premiere Pro CS3 - it's not the easiest to get on with but if you know Adobe Apps, you'll find your way around it. And it really has lots of possibilities.

Avid is a good choice to, but that's a little higher than Premiere Pro - it's really meant for the uber-professionals that don't work with FInal Cut and wanted to stick to Windows.

Thanks for the help (Both Jasper and to an extent McLovin).

Avid looks brilliant, exactly what I need. I'll 'aquire' it, and if it's perfect for what I need (I need this kinf of program alot, and I'm sick of getting pissed at Windows Movie Maker) I'll buy it.

I need a Mac.

Will Adobe Premiere 2.0 work with vista? (32 bit)

Premiere 2 is about, say, eight years old now. If any version of premiere, you should get a Premiere Pro. But I assume you're talking about Pro 2, since version 2 was mac only and is now not eight, but sixteen years old.

I think it should work just fine. I personally prefer Premiere because it has a very accustomed interface: you'll get used to it and once you learn the basics you know enough to find your way to the difficult stuff yourself.

I haven't been able to try Avid since my Windows emulation is simply not sharing files with my mac, but as soon as I get it fixed I'm installing it. I've got it right here, so it's not a problem.

Remember He's looking for an alternative to windows movie maker, not a professional video production software.

Honestly, he was golng to stick with Avid, so I'm pretty sure that in comparison Premiere is still a simple tool.

This is a note of caution: Avid is not compatible with Vista. The developers have decided to hold of for a while to test the application and rewrite it a little, so untill then: stick nicely to xp and watch microsoft die a horrible death.

Premiere Pro CS3, however, is compatible.