N-Europe

Old PC -> New PC. Data transfer.

Phube

I am about to receive my new PC, but I have never been in the position before where I had a shed load of stuff to transfer across to the new one (before the days of digital photos and music!), usually just an excel or word program (on floppy) before. And now I'm in a quandary as to how it is best achieved.

My old PC is XP, my new one will be Vista Home Premium.

This data will need transferring (in importance order), any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated:

Essential:

Photos (in My Pictures) at least 15 Gig worth.

Music (in iTunes + iPod) ~2500 songs.

Useful:

Office files

Firefox/IE bookmarks etc.

Would be nice:

Game Save data.

Vista should have a tool which does all of this automatically, see if you can find it in accessories somewhere.

I'm assuming you're just going to do this by ethernet.

For firefox bookmarks theres an extension called FEBE which backs up everything. Photos and music is simply a matter of copy and paste. Game save data depends on the game, most games you'll simply copy and paste the directory I imagine.

Vista should have a tool which does all of this automatically, see if you can find it in accessories somewhere.

I'm assuming you're just going to do this by ethernet.

For firefox bookmarks theres an extension called FEBE which backs up everything. Photos and music is simply a matter of copy and paste. Game save data depends on the game, most games you'll simply copy and paste the directory I imagine.

Thanks... but I don't have the new PC yet! I just want to make sure I don't need stuff, i.e. USB cables etc...

if you have a router you can connect both pcs up to it and transfer stuff across. Otherwise i think you would need a crossover cable to connect from one pc to the other. Then you just use sharing folders or something as a means of transfering the stuff over.

Game save files im not sure about, i think its different in every game.

How big is that iPod? You can use it as a usb hard drive if you open iTunes, click on your iPod and tick "enable disk use" in the options space.

Then just go to My Computer, open up your iPod and drag and drop everything you want to keep into there.

If you can't fit it all on in one go, move it off your iPod onto your new PC then start again.

You can export your firefox bookmarks with bookmarks > organise bookmarks > file > export, then do the same on the new PC but "import".

On IE7 press 'alt' to bring up the main toolbar, then file: "import and export".

You could email small files like the bookmarks exports to your own email address and retrieve them on your new PC.

Your game save data is usually in a "saves" folder in the game's program files (C:\program files\COMPANY\GAME) or these days you can sometimes find your saves somewhere within "My Documents".

How big is that iPod? You can use it as a usb hard drive if you open iTunes, click on your iPod and tick "enable disk use" in the options space.

Then just go to My Computer, open up your iPod and drag and drop everything you want to keep into there.

If you can't fit it all on in one go, move it off your iPod onto your new PC then start again.

You can export your firefox bookmarks with bookmarks > organise bookmarks > file > export, then do the same on the new PC but "import".

On IE7 press 'alt' to bring up the main toolbar, then file: "import and export".

You could email small files like the bookmarks exports to your own email address and retrieve them on your new PC.

Your game save data is usually in a "saves" folder in the game's program files (C:\program files\COMPANY\GAME) or these days you can sometimes find your saves somewhere within "My Documents".

It's 30Gig. So I can use it as a transferable drive??

What about my iTunes themselves... I know in the options you can 'Authorise' new PC's. But how when you don't know anything about your new one??

Use the utility that probably comes with windows and then take out the HD and get a case for it.

I'm sorry I don't under stand... you mean take out my old PC hard drive... and put it in a case?

What kind of case? You mean to keep as a spare store sort of thing?

Ignore what Emasher said.

Just do what Shorty suggested. Enable the iPod for disk use, drag + drop everything on to iPod. Then connect to new computer and drag + drop off again.

To re-authorise stuff bought off the iTunes store just wait until you try to play the track/sync with you're iPod. It will ask you for you're username and password. Enter them and the tracks are authorised for that computer!

Photos (in My Pictures) at least 15 Gig worth.

Music (in iTunes + iPod) ~2500 songs.

Why, it would be a wast of a hard drive to just get rid of it.

By case I meant a case for an external hard drive.

You'd be chancing your arm trying to get it to work that way. The majority of times it wont read from "my documents" from the old OS in the new computer. Ive done this before and it doesn't always give you access.

Also programs won't always work.

Its a different computer, the setup is different.

Yeah to be fair it's not an awful idea to use the primary HDD from your old PC as a slave or even external HDD in your new PC, but you might not be able to retrieve your files.

If you reformat... like suggested in the above post... well surely that's against the point of this thread, which was to find a way to keep all the old files, not take an empty HDD to the new PC. Plus the old PC could still be used by someone else while it has a HDD in it, and these days not many brand new PCs will be short of disk space for a while.