Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

10BaseT

Ash

Can someone give me an understandable, but slighty technical explaintion for 10BaseT, its for a college project, but google does not help to much only giving me a small paragraph about it, so i was wondering if any of you can help me?

10baseT is an ethernet standard. It means 10Mbps running on a twisted pair cable. Other standards include 100baseT, which is the same as 10baseT but runs at 100Mbps. You get two type UTP (Unshielded Twisted pair) and STP(Shielded twisted pair) The reason for the wires being twisted together is so there is no crosstalk between the wires. Crosstalk corrupts the data. Crosstalk occurs when noise from one wire bleeds into another one. Used to happen on telephone lines when you were in the middle of a call and all of a sudden you hear some other strangers voice interfering with your call. Shielded cables such as STP shield the cable from even more noise from external sources. Mainly used when trailing cables near to high output electrical sources that produce alot of magnetic interference and such.