N-Europe

Intel Penryn CPU's.

Caris

Guest Stefkov

Penryn

A Range of Products -- Six Penryn family processors, including dual- and quad-core desktop processors and a dual-core mobile processor are all under the Intel Core processor brand name as well as new dual- and quad-core server processors under the Intel® Xeon® processor brand name. A processor for higher-end server multiprocessing systems is also under development. As previously noted, Intel already has a total of 15 45nm products scheduled.

Intel%20CES%20Slide%20Processors.jpg

Scan have the E8500 at £183.62, E8400 at £129.50 and the E8200 at £115.78

The Quads are £218.56 for the Q9450 and £361.07 for the Q9550

The quads seems a bit steep tbh, but that E8200 price is pretty nice. Might upgrade after a price drop.

Guest Stefkov

E8200's price does seem really good.

Overclockers has it but a bit more expensive and Ebuyer doesn't even have it up yet.

What about that E8500. I'm just wondering about overclocking it, if it's that high will it be able to go up more.

Guest Stefkov

I guess Quads are more for the extreme pc builders who'll spend thousands on a machine then.

I'd so get the E8500 if I had the money.

Guest Stefkov

Just looking at scan the prices of the Conroe havnt gone down.

The E6850 at 3GHz is £172.63, the E8400 at 3GHz is only £129.50.

They might go down in time?

I'm going for the Q9450 when it's out. It's not the best overclocker but I'll be happy running it a 3GHz. Seems to give a good trade off for me, I multitask a lot and do quite a bit of molecular modelling calculations as well as gaming so it seems like the best choice for me.

Until we saw more complex multithreading, Dual Cores seem the best way to go for pure gaming IMO.