NEurope
ReZourceman

External Hard Drive and Game Installation Help!

Okay Ive got a new external hard drive, but when I go to setup CandC3 it says the same message that theres no room to install it, how do I change it to install it to the external drive?!

Driving me mad.

Thanks!

I put the disc in to check, but it would mean me uninstalling and reinstalling the game.

Check carefully during the instalation. Is there no option to change the location you install it to?

I put the disc in to check, but it would mean me uninstalling and reinstalling the game.

Check carefully during the instalation. Is there no option to change the location you install it to?

No there isnt. :(

Erm its....(I assume, by going properties on it) about 30GB.

Ive got a fair few TV shows...lotta pics.

move the shows and pics to your external hard drive, and install the game on the internal.

I know it's not the exact solution. But it's always the best idea to put your media on the external.

(Cheers for the help, first off) : peace:

Yeah, think thats what Im going to have to do. Ive been looking on the net though, and I found this.

Like said the best thing is to "Mount" the NTFS Volume into your file system. This way it is always at the same place. For this to work format your HD as NTFS ( I would suggest making more than one partition but this is up to you ). Then go to the Drive Manager and map the Partition of choice. Chose there not mapping to a drive letter but to a folder. Then specify the folder in your system ( I suggest "C:\Program Files\Games" or something like that ). The folder has to exist beforehand. Now everytime to plug in your drive it shows up inside this folder. This way games see also C: as the install path rejecting already one of possible causes ( sometimes other drive letters are though to be CDRom or alike causing strange behaviour ).

--

ok thanks...

1) did u mean to format the external hd as NTFS?

2) Also...where can i find 'drive manager' to map a partition? -update- think i found it under computer management?

3) Can u xplain why i am specifying a c:\ folder for my external hd?

So what u are saying is that when plugging in the external hd and installing cd based or steam games, the games will go into the folder on the c: but will actually save onto the external- will the games show up on my external drive though2 ?

4) How long will it take to format the external hd?its 250gb.

Sorry for all the questions but im a bit crappy with these things..thanks for your patience and i truly appreciate the answers.

Also, i have managed to get SS2 to work, it was a folder on the c:, i copied it onto the external and the game worked....but that was for a game already on my internal HD, i tried pointing the installer of a cdrom based game to the external but it didnt copy files...

thanks again...please keep the answers simple, i will understand then

--

1) Yes. For mounting volumes you require them to be formated as NTFS. Not sure if only the base system but it can't hurt.

2) Yep, under the computer management. It's the app with the fancy blue/green/red bars for each device.

3) What you do is an old hat trick on Unix systems that micro$oft finally managed to somehow "copy" in a more or less useable way. The idea is to make the content of a device to appear inside your file system as if it would be a directory there. Hence if the device is unconnected the directory "Games" is empty. Once you branch your device though the system shows the content of the device inside the directory. Although for your games it looks like beeing on drive C: everything read and written below this directory "Games" in fact ends up beeing done on the device. Think of it as a pluggable directory. Once you use linux you get used to it and you will see what great invention this system is.

4) Not long. Formatting NTFS is quicker as you can do "format

Wheres drive manager?

Whats a partition?

Christ I thought this was going to be a lot simpler.

Unless someone with more knowledge pops in.

That confusing stuff is why i'd say to move your vides etc to the external.

Games on an external HDD is never the best idea, no real benefit to it and loads of drawbacks.

What OS are you using?

Games on an external HDD is never the best idea, no real benefit to it and loads of drawbacks.

What OS are you using?

XP.

Thats weird...Just deleted my entire TV Shows folder and the space didnt decrease...? Do I have to do something first?

By the sounds of the last issue, you have an old slack drive.

That or as soon as you're deleting it, Windows is using it for virtual memory/system restore.

It freed up some space after I did that compress thingy (or whatever it was) only cleared about 4 or so Gigs though...so I guess what Jordan said.

No idea with these things, lol. But its installed now...just want to go home and actually play it! :)

Kinda seemed like a waste of the 400 gig hard drive though. Dunno. *Shrugs* Least it leaves me plenty of room for my ridiculous (But easier to lip sync that Flash) animation process.