Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Timesplitters 4 announced!

jammy2211

I find it hard to attribute such a large sales difference, especially considering relative install base sizes, purely down to lack of marketing. If you're saying it was the 360 version that was pushed, why is the PS3 version still charting? Sure it's a couple of places lower, probably down to marketing and install base, but it's up there. The Wii version bombed. I thereby think that Rummy's statement is somewhat based in fact, and the people arguing otherwise are simply ignoring this data in order to continue whining about publishers attitudes.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Market COD on Wii you'd need to make it with all the bad actors looking like they're having fun really into it diving behind the sofa and whatever.

Instead of "at home with the Redknapps" though, it'll be "at home with Kiefer Sutherland and a host of Nazis". Fun times.

I find it hard to attribute such a large sales difference, especially considering relative install base sizes, purely down to lack of marketing. If you're saying it was the 360 version that was pushed, why is the PS3 version still charting? Sure it's a couple of places lower, probably down to marketing and install base, but it's up there. The Wii version bombed. I thereby think that Rummy's statement is somewhat based in fact, and the people arguing otherwise are simply ignoring this data in order to continue whining about publishers attitudes.

Because a lot of PS3 users are Hardcore gamers (since its a niche console), most of them would look at an add for the 360 version and know that they can get it on the PS3 also. Or at least do some research. Since CoD4 wasn't on the Wii, a lot of people think that W@W also isn't on the Wii unless they've actually heard about it.

Because a lot of PS3 users are Hardcore gamers (since its a niche console), most of them would look at an add for the 360 version and know that they can get it on the PS3 also. Or at least do some research. Since CoD4 wasn't on the Wii, a lot of people think that W@W also isn't on the Wii unless they've actually heard about it.

It's alot more likely Wii owners just don't have a clue what the hell Call of Duty is. I still don't get where this idea of any version of COD being marketed though, I saw no adverts (Albeit am a University student without a TV) and only saw people playing down the hype because it was a Treyarch and not Infinity Ward game.

Either way, I don't think the marketing required to make COD on Wii a hit would be financially profitable, and just better spent trying to get more owners to buy GH:WT.

Believe me. They don't need to market GH:WT.

Wii owners aren't just casual's who don't give a crap about anything that doesn't have a Wii Prefix in the title. There is a huge audience for games like this on the Wii. Like I said before, there are lots of hardcore gamers who only have a Wii. There are also a lot of young fathers of children who own Wii's who might pick something like this up for after the kids go to bed if they knew about it. Sure, its not as big an audience as on the 360. But it is enough that it would sell better if people knew about it.

Wii owners aren't just casual's who don't give a crap about anything that doesn't have a Wii Prefix in the title. There is a huge audience for games like this on the Wii. Like I said before, there are lots of hardcore gamers who only have a Wii. There are also a lot of young fathers of children who own Wii's who might pick something like this up for after the kids go to bed if they knew about it. Sure, its not as big an audience as on the 360. But it is enough that it would sell better if people knew about it.

And this market analysis is based off of what? The idea you've built up in your head because it suits your vision of the Wii?

Compare that with the market research EA and Acitivision pay Millions of dollars to obtain and it seems a bit, lacking substance? I'm of the opinion that companies like Activision and EA who over the years have expanded into the giants we know them today, and more then capable of making the right decisions in making money, who are we to say otherwise?

I don't even doubt these audiences you say are on the Wii exsist, however I do believe they're far from financially viable for any company to invest into and not even worth bothering compared to trying to cash in on the 'fitness' market Wii Fit opened up or the Minigames market Carnival Games and Game Party are pioneering.

And why exactly would they develop a game if they're amazing market research told them it wouldn't sell.

It just doesn't make sense to port a game just for shits and giggles. If they're going to spend the money doing this, why not spend the money getting the game to sell.

And why exactly would they develop a game if they're amazing market research told them it wouldn't sell.

It just doesn't make sense to port a game just for shits and giggles. If they're going to spend the money doing this, why not spend the money getting the game to sell.

Because porting a PS2 game costs like, 10% of the developement costs? If we're being generous, that is.

Whereas, a meaningful marketing campaign that you seem to be asking for, can quickly pass $10 million, and easily surpass the developement costs.

You don't seem to have much perspective on this, or knowledge, or idea, or anything. You're like me, when I was younger, and more ignorant 0_o.

Yes, but W@W isn't a PS2 game is it. I can see why a PS2 port might not be worth marketing unless it would sell really well, but obviously time and money was spent getting the game to run on the Wii without toning it down as much as CoD3 was.

I realize I'm no expert on this. But the original argument made quite a few posts back still stands doesn't it. If a game isn't marketed, its not going to sell that well.

Yes, but W@W isn't a PS2 game is it. I can see why a PS2 port might not be worth marketing unless it would sell really well, but obviously time and money was spent getting the game to run on the Wii without toning it down as much as CoD3 was.

I realize I'm no expert on this. But the original argument made quite a few posts back still stands doesn't it. If a game isn't marketed, its not going to sell that well.

W@W is a PS2 game, hence why it er, came out on the PS2 0_o.

And yeah, I agree, a game not marketed isn't going to sell (Unless it's got a strong brand i.e Resident Evil / Mario etc, or has a strong 'core following). However, marketing COD on the Wii, imo, isn't financially viable. The sales return isn't worth the marketing investiment, which would quickly pass $10 million.

To try give you some perspective, I read an article a few years back that a EA PS2 exclusive would have a marketing budget larger then that of the developement budget. Equally relevent, Wii Fit's Marketing campaign has surpassed $100 million.

Morale? Marketing isn't cheap, and it's high risk.

Then, it's also a DS, 360, PS3 and Wii game, too.

I think he meant PS2 port. Not sure if you got that and were being sarcastic, or if it was a genuine misinterpretation.

It was a PS2 port? If not, it was developed in mind of making sure the WIi and PS2 versions could be interchanged to keep costs low.

Erm yeah...

Except for the fact that the PS2 version was a spin off and the Wii version was the actual 360/PS3 game. But watered down so the Wii could handle it. http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/home/954392.html

It is. but if you're not even going to try and sell the game, why bother developing it?

Wow using GameFAQs as a source for anything is fail. From a quick skin read, sounds like marketing spin in its finest, yawn.

And er, for the other part of your post, I don't even know what you're saying. Should companies be risking 10s of millions of dollars on marketing Wii games? Should COD WAW on Wii got a huge expensive marketing campaign.

I really don't get what most of your replies are trying to say, nor how they address any of what I'm saying :/.

His post said "not a PS2 game" but I think he meant "not a PS2 port." That's what I was picking up on.

My 'pick up' was just that he was ignorant to the fact that there was a PS2 version avaliable, thinking it didn't release on the console.

Who knows though? It's hard to interpret anything he says :/.

But I think its rather obvious that its not the same game. The Wii version is a port of the 360/PS3 version, not the PS2 version anyway.

No, I'm saying Its not going to sell if you don't market it. The actual feasibility of marketing a game or not is a different story altogether.

I wasn't being ignorant to the fact there wasn't a PS2 version. Its not the same game as on the other consoles though. Its quite obvious that the Wii version isn't a PS2 port though.

Okay. But does that attribute to the entire difference in sales between the PS3 and Wii versions? The difference that has the PS3 in the top ten each week and the Wii outside the top 40? Considering the install base difference between the two?

No.

Right. Not as big as 360. So why would it be more sensible to see TS4 on Wii rather than 360? Why would games like CoD:W@W get a marketing push on Wii when it will sell better on 360? You're contradicting yourself.

Because not all of the audience for it on the 360 would buy it seeing as there are a lot of other FPS games on the 360. It also depends on if the game is an exclusive. Since there are a lot of people who do own both, if its just on one, everyone has to buy it for that console if they want it. There are lots of games that flopped on other consoles, but if they were released on the Wii they would probably do much better.

Left For Dead says Hi. The new Banjo Kazooie game is heading to a million too I think, which is far more nishe :/.

But yeah, seems like a moot point to me, they could change the 'style' if they didn't think it had enough appeal. I'd imagine the people who made it a success last gen are the people buying Halo and Resistance this gen.

Because not all of the audience for it on the 360 would buy it seeing as there are a lot of other FPS games on the 360. It also depends on if the game is an exclusive. Since there are a lot of people who do own both, if its just on one, everyone has to buy it for that console if they want it. There are lots of games that flopped on other consoles, but if they were released on the Wii they would probably do much better.

If someone likes FPS games they will buy FPS games. They won't buy Halo, then Orange Box, then think: "No, I won't buy Timesplitters, as I already own 2 FPS games that I loved playing through".

And the fact that people who own both a Wii and an Xbox chose in bulk to buy the 360 version rather than the Wii version doesn't at all give you the impression that people would prefer the 360 version?

I don't think that TS would do very well on the other formats.

They don't think the TS games are "cool" enough. I mean, look at the toony character design:

01.jpg

Not at all something for the mainstream.

I hardly think toony aliens are going to stop people who own an Xbox from buying the game any more than they will stop people who own a Wii. Why do people have this idea in their heads that everyone who owns an Xbox is a dribbling imbecile only interested in the game with the most gore, the biggest explosions and the baldest space marine?

Why do people have this idea in their heads that everyone who owns an Xbox is a dribbling imbecile only interested in the game with the most gore, the biggest explosions and the baldest space marine?

Most likely for the same reason that most 360 fans think all Wii owners are casuals.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!