Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Timesplitters 4 announced!

jammy2211

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Selling more and making more profit are different things. Games can sell in much smaller quantities on Wii and make larger profits as the profit margin is a lot better due to reduced development costs.

It's really not that black and white, I'd imaging developing Timesplitters 4 on the Wii (And making it as good as the previous titles) wouldn't cost a great deal less then a PS360, probably around 60% of what it would on HD consoles

If they wanted to tap into the expanded market they'd need a much larger marketing budget too, but I doubt Timesplitters is that sort of game.

There are plenty of other reasons it'd be more profitable on PS360 (Other then far greater sales) but it's probably not the best thread to go into those.

How did the sales for COD:W@W compare between Wii and 360?

The 360 version was hugely promoted in the press and had a wide marketing campaign. Activision kept the Wii version as a complete recluse, did not market it at all, and never even specified details of the game before launch (ie, online features).

The Wii version sold horrendously. The 360 version sold incredibly well.

Weird that, huh?

The 360 version was hugely promoted in the press and had a wide marketing campaign. Activision kept the Wii version as a complete recluse, did not market it at all, and never even specified details of the game before launch (ie, online features).

Weird that, huh?

The Wii version was quite strongly marketed according to some of the American's I've seen discussing it. TV adverts and whatnot, I'd guess it obviously had more in the form of PS360 but I didn't see any advertising for the game on any system in the UK?

If it's anything like their marketing of Guitar Hero then Activision will have done the adverts with every system in mind and advertised....

The Wii version was quite strongly marketed according to some of the American's I've seen discussing it.

The game was hardly advertised to start with, but the Wii version wasn't actually revealed until the game was ready to be released, they were only showing off the 360 version. It also didn't help that shops received about 3 copies of the game.

Weird that, huh?

The game was hardly advertised to start with, but the Wii version wasn't actually revealed until the game was ready to be released, they were only showing off the 360 version. It also didn't help that shops received about 3 copies of the game.

Yes, I never saw an ad for this. Compared to games like RE4 which was a re-release which had an ad every five mins at one time. Also, when the hype machine was rolling into action all we saw was 360, never a mention of the Wii until it was out - same with Bond.

That'll have been the retailers choice, not Activision.

TV adverts in the US apparently, not much hype in Europe though.

Yes, I never saw an ad for this. Compared to games like RE4 which was a re-release which had an ad every five mins at one time. Also, when the hype machine was rolling into action all we saw was 360, never a mention of the Wii until it was out - same with Bond.

The reason you saw decent marketing for RE4 was cause Nintendo published it in Europe.

I didn't see a great deal of marketing for any version of COD:WAW, the gaming press hyped the HD versions up alot more but that's not marketing on Activision's part, just positive press reception.

I'm guessing they had a much stronger presense in the US.

CoD:W@W in general wasn't marketed that well. In-fact, I was in an EB Games one day buying ToS:DotNW and the guy ahead of me in line asked the guy if the new CoD was out and then he asked if the game was about Modern Warfare or WWII. If he didn't even know that, he couldn't have possibly seen an advertisement for it. And while I did see a bit of marketing for the HD versions, the Wii version was nearly invisible.

Weird that, huh?

no not really weird at ALL!.. I really fear for the conduit... but that has the advantage of being somewhat hyped and being an exclusive is the main thing.

but in fairness to it cod 3(you know the last one on the wii) was mediocre and cod 4 was non existant.. you have to feel the pain for wii owners there... how did medal of honours fare? thats a better way to judge this.

no not really weird at ALL!.. I really fear for the conduit... but that has the advantage of being somewhat hyped and being an exclusive is the main thing.

but in fairness to it cod 3(you know the last one on the wii) was mediocre and cod 4 was non existant.. you have to feel the pain for wii owners there... how did medal of honours fare? thats a better way to judge this.

From VGchartz MoH:H2 is at 250k America alone, Europe will be smaller numbers so you're look at about 380k LTD. From what I've read alot of those sales were after price cuts ealry in it's life though, so EA probably weren't making much off the game after the first 200k of sales.

The PS360 version of COW:WAW wasn't really marketed either, it probably had more of a budget but it'd be neglileble to lead to the 360 version outselling the Wii 10:1 or something like that. Wii version had TV adverts in the US too.

But yeah, The Conduit should be interesting. I think it'll give us a good scope as to how much press hype / critical reception can help with a Wii games sales, provided it lives up to expectations.

Weird that, huh?

Activision seem to only market one format of their multiplatform releases, and that's the 360 version. I haven't seen a single ad for the PS3 or Wii versions of CoD5 or GHWT.

The PS360 version of COW:WAW wasn't really marketed either, it probably had more of a budget but it'd be neglileble to lead to the 360 version outselling the Wii 10:1 or something like that. Wii version had TV adverts in the US too.

And we come back to my previous point - Activision allowed the Wii version next to no press coverage.

And we come back to my previous point - Activision allowed the Wii version next to no press coverage.

Could be true enough, it makes alot more sense showing the HD versions as most of the press is just screenshots and trailers.

I'm not sure how much of a difference press coverage makes on a Wii title though, can only hinder it though. I do go back to the fact the Wii version had TV adds in the US of A.

But yeah, bring on The Conduit.

Activision seem to only market one format of their multiplatform releases, and that's the 360 version. I haven't seen a single ad for the PS3 or Wii versions of CoD5 or GHWT.

Perhaps with CoD, but not GHWT. Most GHWT marketing was for all 6 (Wii, 360, PS2, PS3, PC, Mac) versions.

Could be true enough, it makes alot more sense showing the HD versions as most of the press is just screenshots and trailers.

I'm not sure how much of a difference press coverage makes on a Wii title though, can only hinder it though.

For a start they could have let ONM, NGamer and Nintendo Power test the game, and actually demo it at E3 following the kind mention in Nintendo's press conference.

For a start they could have let ONM, NGamer and Nintendo Power test the game, and actually demo it at E3 following the kind mention in Nintendo's press conference.

Wow the magazines still exsist, do people buy them? But yeah, sounds pretty lazy on Activisions part.

They seem to be good at thinking they can sell a game on brand alone, hence why Quantum of Solace was a bit of a disaster in the end. Call of Duty pulls it off every year on the HD consoles, but I guess it's just not got that brand awareness on the Wii.

Not in the UK.

I'm really not sure about WT, but Activision really hammered out the Wii version of GHIII, so it obviously sold best. That must have layed some foundations, because the Wii version of WT is outselling all others, despite no visible marketing for that particular version. So they probably lucked out in that respect.

I'm really not sure about WT, but Activision really hammered out the Wii version of GHIII, so it obviously sold best. That must have layed some foundations, because the Wii version of WT is outselling all others, despite no visible marketing for that particular version. So they probably lucked out in that respect.

Even if the WT adverts say "Xbox 360" on the end, most of the Wii owners will see the adverts and want it, and expect / inquire about it being on the Wii etc. Not to mention the fact previous Guitar Hero's have been advertised on the Wii, and the huge giant boxes of the things all around the retail stores.

With a game like Call of Duty I can see it over-shadowed the WIi version without a proper marketing campaign (Not saying the Xbox 360 had one), but Guitar Hero? Not so much.

Aren't these kinds me adverts 'supported' by MS- or the relevant manufacturer?

Probably.

With Guitar Hero adverts they'll still appeal just as much to the Wii audience anyway. To Market COD on Wii you'd need to make it with all the bad actors looking like they're having fun really into it diving behind the sofa and whatever.

Guitar Hero's adverts pretty much do all that anyway.

I think if they showed some gameplay footage of CoD:W@W Wii and then mentioned that it had online and at the end just showed the Wii Logo (Alone), the mainstream gamers that do own the console would probably look at it and then go, "That Game looks Awesome", Then "Cool, It has Online", and finally "Holy Crap! I can get it for my Wii". Sales would probably pick it up. Remember, there are a lot of kids who have Wii consoles. There are people who might buy a more Mature game to play on their kids Wii after they've gone to bed. I've known people who've done this. You just need to get the information to the right customers. The market for the 360/PS3/PC versions would already know about the game. The main market for the Wii version wouldn't know about it unless it was advertised to that market specifically.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!