N-Europe

Laptop Advice

thirtynine.

I realize there are a lot of laptop threads about of late but after reading most of them I am still pretty confused.

I have around 700 quid, I can go a tiny bit over and I am more than happy to go under XD.

Basicly what I need it for is, video editing, 3D work (Maya), photoshop.

I figure it needs at least 2 gig of ram, and a decent hard drive, but where I am really lost is the grapics card (i have no idea whats good) and the CPU can anyone point me in the right direction?

I realize there are a lot of laptop threads about of late but after reading most of them I am still pretty confused.

I have around 700 quid, I can go a tiny bit over and I am more than happy to go under XD.

Basicly what I need it for is, video editing, 3D work (Maya), photoshop.

I figure it needs at least 2 gig of ram, and a decent hard drive, but where I am really lost is the grapics card (i have no idea whats good) and the CPU can anyone point me in the right direction?

Get a Dell is my advice

Reliable

Customizeable

Cheap

Get a Dell is my advice

Reliable

Customizeable

Cheap

No offence, but the dell laptops (i.e the ones in the "home" section) are so over-priced it's untrue.

You should go, if you go with dell, for a vostro1500. They are cheap and pretty powerful for how much you pay.

Those dells look good, except i dont need an OS so it would be nice if they would let me not have one. Also the dells come with 256MB nVidia® GeForce® 8600M GT is that good? Also performance wise is there a large difference between theses to processors Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7300 Processor (2.0GHz,800MHz,4MB L2 cache) and Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7500 Processor (2.2GHz,800MHz,4MB L2 cache)?

Those dells look good, except i dont need an OS so it would be nice if they would let me not have one. Also the dells come with 256MB nVidia® GeForce® 8600M GT is that good?

For a laptop, it's quite good. You should beable to easily do what you want with it.

Edit: Not a gigantic difference, but it would be noticable if you are doing something cpu intensive. If you can get the 2.2Ghz, then do, if you can't, it's not the end of the world.

(I've got a laptop with a 8600 GT and T7500 (2.2Ghz) and it does a great job for me)

For a laptop, it's quite good. You should beable to easily do what you want with it.

Edit: Not a gigantic difference, but it would be noticable if you are doing something cpu intensive. If you can get the 2.2Ghz, then do, if you can't, it's not the end of the world.

(I've got a laptop with a 8600 GT and T7500 (2.2Ghz) and it does a great job for me)

Thanks for your help man, any one else have any advice?